Metal Embossing, Valentine's Day Crafts, Winter Crafts

Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging

Unique Valentine's Day Wall Hanging is a fun Valentine's Day craft that you can make yourself with metal embossing foil and an embossing stencil. Add chalk paint and a pretty ribbon for perfect Valentine's Day decor.

Want a unique, quick and easy project for Valentine’s Day?  This little project has received a lot of attention and for good reason. The texture of the metal really makes an eye-catching sparkle!  Our Valentine’s Day Wall Hanging is easily made with metal embossing foil and an embossing folder.

I’ve included a quick tutorial for this project as well.  This is a very easy project, perfect for a beginner at metal embossing.

The supplies used for this project are:

• Metal foil  – found at craft stores in small squares – you can also use the metal from a soda can
  • Embossing stylist – (if you don’t have one you can use a dull pencil)
  • Paper Stump – found in the painting supplies at a craft store
  • Embossing folder – I picked up this one on sale at Joan Crafts for $1.00
  • Chalk paint
  • Paint brush
  • chalk or bistro chalk marker
  • ribbon
  • hole punch
  • Something to emboss on like a piece of leather, or several sheets of newspaper stacked
  • Scissors
  • Something to use as a template for 2 different size hearts.  I used a pack of cookie cutters I picked up at the dollar store
  • optional:  grommets

Trace a large heart on a square of metal foil and cut it out.  Put your metal heart on a leather pad or a stack of newspapers so there is something soft under the metal.  With an embossing stylist or a dull pencil, trace a smaller heart inside the heart you just cut out.  You want to press hard enough to make an impression, but not so hard to poke through the metal.

Remove the heart from the leather or newspaper and turn it over onto a hard surface.

You should be able to easily see a raised area of the 2nd heart you traced.

Use the stylist or a dull pencil and define the heart shape that you made by carefully tracing the outer side of the heart you traced, and then the inner line of the heart you traced.

Next using the embossing folder and a paper stump, lay the metal heart on the inside of the embossing folder and using the paper stump trace the design.
Paint the inside the the smaller heart with chalk paint.  Punch a hole in the top and bottom of each heart on opposite sides.  Run the ribbon through the holes.  Tie a knot on the bottom and a bow at the top.   Write on the dried chalk paint the letters that you want with either chalk or a chalk bistro pen, like I used.   I also put silver grommets in my punched holes because I had some on hand.  This is an optional step, but it makes the ribbon side easily through.

This project is easily accomplished in an evening and is perfect for Valentine’s Day decor!

Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone!

January 27, 2015 at 2:26 pm

This is lovely, Laurie! Your tutorial is great. I've been looking forward to learning about how you make all of your beautiful projects.I love the step by step you gave. This is something I want to try. Do you ever share your projects on Link Parties? I would love it if you shared this on the Spring Craft Blog Hop. You can find the link to it at http://acrosstheblvd.blogspot.com/2015/01/spring-craft-blog-hop-valentines-day.html. I hope you'll share!

January 27, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Beverly, Thank you so much for your comments. I'd love to share on the Link Party, but to be honest, I've never done a link party before so I'm not sure what all is involved to participate, but it is really an honor to be asked to share a link, so maybe it is time I tried it out 🙂

January 28, 2015 at 2:58 am

Now that you've dipped your toes into link parties, I hope to see more of your lovely projects at other parties. I've found that most parties are great resources for finding lots of inspiration and for making some connections with other bloggers. I just kind of jumped in to them and I've been enjoying them.
      Also, Gloria was over at my place this evening and I was showing her some of your projects. She loved them. Her husband does stained glass projects and she thinks he will love the idea of doing metal embossing, too. So, you have inspired them!

January 28, 2015 at 3:53 am

I may do that, although time will be tight for me for at least another month or two at work, before I can get back into the swing and get more involved in the blogging world. It's enough to try to keep up with everyone else's creative posts.
      I have a friend that does stained glass, and she thought of many ideas to combine the embossing and the stained glass – so many possibilities. I'd love to see any projects Gloria and her husband can come up with!!

2. Monica
    January 28, 2015 at 1:00 am

Ooohhh…I LOVE it 😉 . I've never tried metal embossing but this makes me want to give it a go. Thanks for the step by step instructions!

January 28, 2015 at 1:51 am

Thanks Monica. I know that many people don't know too much about metal embossing. I'm hoping to show more beginner and practical projects that can be done with metal as well as feature some of my other more involved projects.

3. Renee Cheatham
    January 28, 2015 at 4:03 am

Amazing! Thank you for linking up to the Spring Craft Blog Hop!

January 28, 2015 at 4:25 am

Thank you Renee! Happy to link up (now that I understand how to do these things lol)

4. Heather Grow
    January 28, 2015 at 5:14 am

Okay, this is really cute. I love all the plays on texture. Happy Valentine's Day!

January 28, 2015 at 6:24 am

Thank you Heather! This texture pattern is one of my favorites and so easy to do. I appreciate the comment and happy you stopped in for a visit!

5. Dee M
    January 28, 2015 at 6:26 am

That is beautiful, Laurie! Love it!! I have a link party on Saturday Night– Snickerdoodle Sunday, and I would love for you to link this or any project up. 🙂

January 28, 2015 at 6:49 am

Aw, thanks Dee. I'd be happy to link up (now that I see how easy it is to do – lol) Guess my newbie is showing lol. Thanks so much for the invite.

6. Aimee Hi
    February 1, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Your tutorial is great, thanks for sharing! Is that foil sharp on the edges at all? Thanks for stopping by to share your link with us. I hope that you will join us again in the future!

February 1, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Thanks Aimee. The metal isn't any more sharp than a paper edge would be as long as your cut edges are clean. I was happy to be a part of the party. Thanks for hosting 🙂

7. Erlene A
    February 3, 2015 at 1:34 am

This is a great tutorial and introduced me to some new crafting toys 🙂 Would love if you shared this on the Merry Monday Link Party and the Spring Craft Blog Hop (Valentine themed crafts).

February 3, 2015 at 1:51 am

Erlene, thank you for the invite and for dropping by! I'd be happy to link up to the Merry Monday Link Party.

8. Meredith Wouters
    February 3, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Wow, this is so cool! I wouldn't even know where to start with metal embossing, but you make it seem totally do-able. And the end result is too cute!

February 3, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Thank you Meredith. It is actually very easy to do. Hope you will give it a try.
      So happy you stopped in today!

9. Dee M
    February 4, 2015 at 6:37 pm

I know I already commented, but it's great to see you at Snickerdoodle Sunday — thanks so much for partying with us! 🙂

February 4, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Thanks Dee. I was happy to participate – so many wonderful project posts to view. I'll be checking back in to see more!

10. Karen Edmisten
    February 9, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Ramona would love this one, too. I have to confess that I'm scared of the metal, though. 🙂

Also? I LOVE that you have an Erma Bombeck quote on your About page. Your first comment to me, on my blog, was on a post about my high school speech teacher and her "candle in the window." I used to do Erma Bombeck pieces for her. 🙂

February 9, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Understandable. The metal I use is pretty soft as it is formulated for embossing, but that being said, I would not let young children play with these metal decorations – just in case. My 12 yr. old son enjoys embossing every now and then and you know boys – they are never careful – and we've never had a problem with him handling the metal. The key is clean cuts. The paper punches are perfect if you are worried because they do give a nice clean cut. Hope that helps.

Erma Bombeck is a favorite of mine (obviously). I love your blog and enjoy every visit!

11. Lisa @ Drugstore Divas
    February 3, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Wow. This is so cool. At first, the texture reminded me of a Starbucks coffee sleeve, but using metal is so much better (and will last a long longer too!).

February 4, 2016 at 1:17 am

Thank you Lisa! Appreciate the visit!

12. Crochet Hooks
    February 3, 2016 at 7:22 pm

totally cool and would be so easy to customize with any message! Love the shiny shiny aspect the best! Great idea and wondeful tute! thanks for sharing!

February 4, 2016 at 1:18 am

Thank you! Glad that you like it and I appreciate the visit!

13. Sherry Nappa
    February 4, 2016 at 11:11 pm

This is fantastic. Love the texture. I wish I could make things up as I go and have them turn out like this did.

February 5, 2016 at 1:41 am

Thanks Sherry! Most of my projects are make it up as you go. I'm not a big planner, just sit down when I have time and make something. Thank you for stopping by!

14. T'onna | Sew Crafty Crochet