Metal Embossing

Stunning Copper Leaf Wreath with Aluminium Accents

Perfect project for a beginner embosser. Tutorial for how to make your own copper leaf wreath with aluminium accents using metal embossing foil.
This is a perfect simple embossing project for a beginner.  This wreath is made with leaves cut from copper-colored and aluminium metal embossing foil.  The edges of the leaves are finished with a decorative embossing tool.

Last night, my daughter #2 came home for a visit.  She is just weeks away from her college graduation and I’m so proud of her!  We decided that a movie marathon was in order because I had just picked up the third Hunger Games Movie DVD.   And better yet, my daughter was delighted to help me with this project while we watched the movies.

I’ll have to apologize in advance for my tutorial and pictures this week.  My daughter and I talked, laughed, watched the movie while working on this project.  Needless to say, we didn’t take many pictures and the ones we did take were not taken with best lighting.

Tutorial for Copper Leaf Wreath

Supplies Used:

Wire Wreath Form
Metal Embossing foil, aluminium on one side, copper tinted on the other  (38 gauge)
Embossing tool decorative wheel – herringbone pattern
Embossing stylist
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun and Glue
A leaf pattern
Soft Embossing surface
For more information on where to obtain supplies and tools – check out my 4 part series on Embossing, The Basics

Info on Metal Used:    People have asked me if the metal I use has sharp edges.  This tooling metal (38 gauge) is pretty soft and pliable.  It cuts easily with ordinary household scissors and is slightly thicker than a disposable tin foil backing pan.   As long as your cut edges are clean, you shouldn’t have any issues handling the metal.  Don’t get me wrong, if you rub the side of the metal in just the wrong way, you will get cut, just like you would with paper and the resulting paper cut.

I hand drew a leaf on a piece of paper to create a pattern.  I traced 70 leaves on the metal tooling foil using a stylist.  My daughter and I cut them out using standard household scissors.  This was the longest part of the process, but it went very quickly with both of us doing the cutting.
For a soft surface I just used a scrap piece of  foam board that I had left over from another project.  It worked great because I could do the simple embossing while sitting on the couch and the foam board doubled as little table for me.   I used a herringbone patterned decorative wheel and ran the wheel along the outer edge of each leaf pressing firmly.
Embossing a leaf cut from aluminium embossing foil with a decorative embossing tool.
Using the embossing stylist, I drew a quick line down the center of each leaf.  That’s it for the embossing on this project!
Embossing edge of leaves cut from copper-colored metal embossing foil.
I don’t have any pictures of the next step.  I guess we were too into the movie, but it’s pretty easy.  I used a hot glue gun and glued each leaf onto a wire wreath form.  I was careful to only glue the bottom half of the leaves down.  This way, if I wanted to go back and add a leaf here or there, it would be easier to do.  Also, when you work your way around the wreath, in order to put in the last leaves, you will want to tuck them under the first leaves that you attached. So if you leave the top 1/2 of the leaves unglued, you will not have any trouble in the end.
Every four or five leaves, I would turn one upside down so that I would have the aluminium side showing. I like the look of the aluminium with the copper.
This wreath is very light weight and will be a beautiful accent piece for my kitchen wall or sitting on top of my cabinets.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly via my contact page or just leave a comment in the comment section of this post.
My daughter and I both gave this quick and simple project a big thumbs up!

1. jk
    March 28, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Beautiful work of art.

March 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Thank you so much!

March 29, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Lovely! I think it was a great choice to mix some aluminum in with the copper. Glad you had a great visit with your daughter!

March 29, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Thank you so much Beverly! I miss having my crafty daughters around all the time. I could sure use their input somethimes! My sons just shake their heads and walk away. We had a great time and I'm looking forward to seeing both of my daughters again for Easter.

I hope you have a great time with your Grandson this week!!

3. Mariet at Practicingnormal
    March 30, 2015 at 9:30 am

Great tutorial and I love how the colours turn out. It is really fun to be able to do something with your daughter. I have started baking with mine, building memories and having fun. Stopping by from Meet Up Monday.

March 30, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Mariet, Thank you so much! What a great thing to do with your daughter! I am somewhat of a mess in the kitchen, thank goodness my daughters learned what they needed to know from their Dad 🙂

4. Karen @ karensuponthehill
    March 30, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Laurie, this is so clever and pretty! I love the mix of copper and aluminum. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great week!
    K

April 1, 2015 at 12:23 am

Thanks Karen! Appreciate you stopping by! Have a great Easter!

5. Lisa Cestkowski
    April 2, 2015 at 1:14 am

Wow. Your wreath is stunning. BTW, I'm the blogger who made the newspaper chicks that you liked. After your kind words on my blog, I thought I should check yours out, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. I've been randomly clicking around here and have been completely wowed by your metal projects. You do great work, and it is so original. So much of the blog universe is comprised of the same projects being done over and over again by different people. I am so happy to find somebody who is doing her own thing and not just following the crowd. Kudos!

April 2, 2015 at 1:54 am

Lisa, Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. Your comments made my day! I truly appreciate it.

6. Rachel Beach
    April 2, 2015 at 9:45 pm

How nice and classy. Easily better than some similar things you'll find in stores. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

April 3, 2015 at 8:15 am

Thank you Rachel. Always enjoy being a part of Merry Monday!

7. Amanda Evans
    April 4, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Wow, I've never tried embossing before but this looks fun! Thank you for linking up at #MeetUpMonday with thequinntessentialmommy.com!

8. Rosemary
    December 22, 2016 at 10:39 am

Love the wreath so much!!! I gravitate to clean and simple lines and this wreath is so elegant!!! I’m a newbie to crafts, and you made it look so simple. I’m not sure if I just missed where we can buy the 38 gauge embossing metal rolls. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks for sharing!

December 22, 2016 at 10:45 am

Hi Rosemary, Thanks so much for your comment. I have a mini 4 part series on metal embossing and the first one is where I discuss where I order my supplies the rest of the series has some basics on metal embossing. You can see the supplies post here: http://myhusbandhastoomanyhobbies.com/2015/01/metal-embossing-basics-metal-tools.html
      Let me know if you have any other questions! Happy Holidays!

Laurie