Fall Crafts, Thanksgiving Crafts

Fall Acorn Ornaments

A cute DIY fall project. Easy to make acorns using glass Christmas Ball Ornaments! Use for garlands or put in a bowl for a pretty fall display.

Once school starts, my crafty mind starts thinking of fall projects.   Not only are these fall acorn ornaments awesome and totally easy to make, they can be used in so many different ways. Hang as garland, attach to a wreath,  or display in a bowl.

Supply List:

Glass Christmas Ornaments
Copper Metallic Spray Paint
Hot Glue Gun
Twine
Raffia Grass

Remove the top hanger from the ornaments and spray paint the ornaments, tops and wire with copper metallic spray paint.   I left them in the tray which made them easier to paint.

Spray the exposed ornaments, wait until they are thoroughly dry, flip and spray the underside and allow to dry.

Put a dab of hot glue at the top of the ball and start wrapping with the twine.  Every so often, apply a little dab of hot glue and continue to wrap until you are satisfied with the amount covered.

Attach the hangers and tie on the raffia into a bow.

Now, get creative and decide how you want to display them.

As you can see, I decided to display mine in a bowl with fall leaves.

I could see these as part of a banner with the word “Fall” written on them, or hanging from the staircase banister.  .  .  they’d probably look pretty good on the Christmas tree too.

More ideas for these could include gift bag embellishments and additions to fall flower arrangements,

Do you have an idea of how you would display these?  We’d love to hear it, just leave a suggestion in the comments below.

Thank you for the visit!

1. Kelli
    August 24, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I love this! What a beautiful and creative way to repurpose the ornaments!

August 25, 2015 at 12:01 am

Thank you Kelli! Appreciate the visit and comment!

2. Absolutely fantastic idea!!! These would look great on my Fall Tree! thanks so much for the inspiration!!

August 25, 2015 at 12:01 am

Thanks Debbie, your right, they would look great on your Fall Tree! Hope you have a chance to make some for your tree!

3. Lisa Cestkowski
    August 25, 2015 at 12:25 am

Love it! What a fun idea!

August 25, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Lisa! They were so easy to make!

August 25, 2015 at 3:05 am

These are so pretty and creative! I love them. I think they look great displayed in a bowl. I'm going to have try this!

August 25, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Thank you Beverly! They are so easy to make and only take a few minutes to wrap.

August 30, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I'm definitely going to try these. I'm happy you shared them on Snickerdoodle Sunday!I'd tell you I'm pinning from the party, but I've already pinned them! 🙂

August 30, 2015 at 5:58 pm

The best form of flattery! Thanks Beverly! I so enjoy being a part of Snickerdoodle Sunday!

5. Jamie Tomkins
    August 25, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Those are adorable!! You can always find the ornaments on sale after the holidays and now I know what I could use them for! Love it!

August 25, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Thanks Jamie! I always get a small stash of ornaments after the holidays just for crafting. I agree it's the best time to get them!

6. The Transplanted Southerner
    August 25, 2015 at 9:11 pm

What a fun craft! I love filling baskets with trinkets for decor. Thanks for sharing at Turn It Up Tuesday!

August 25, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Thanks! I enjoyed being a part of Turn It Up Tuesday!

7. Karren Haller
    August 26, 2015 at 8:30 pm

These are neat Laurie, thanks for sharing on the OMHGWW this week, we are happy you joined us!!
    Have a beautiful week!
    Karren

August 27, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Thanks Karren! I always enjoy being a part of OMHGWW! You have a beautiful week too!

8. Life Redesign 101
    August 27, 2015 at 1:53 am

These are really pretty! I love Christmas ornaments of all kinds and these would just move from fall into Christmas!

August 27, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I agree, a fast but beautiful craft that can span the holiday season! Thanks for stopping by!

9. Gwen
    August 27, 2015 at 6:16 am

I actually like what you did. Adding those leaves, I have a hammered silver bowl–I will pin it for a someday I'll do this project!!! Easy. Not pricey. Different yet uniquely striking!!

August 27, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Ohhh, I'm sure these would look stunning in a hammered silver bowl! Hope you have time to make some for your self! Thanks for stopping by Gwen! Have a great week.

10. Christine B
    August 28, 2015 at 6:39 am

These are gorgeous, Laurie! I love them! Pinned!

August 28, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Thank you! Appreciate the visit and the pin! Have a great weekend!

August 30, 2015 at 1:03 am

These are really cute and just perfect. You did a great job making them.

August 30, 2015 at 1:22 am

Thanks so much Julie! Appreciate you stopping by today!

August 30, 2015 at 2:21 am

Hi Laurie, thanks so much for joining and sharing this cute craft at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    We hope to see you again.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

August 30, 2015 at 5:42 am

Welcome! Happy to share at Cooking and Crafting with J&J!

13. Jess
    August 30, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I love how cute this is!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

August 30, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Jess! I was delighted to share at Cooking and Crafting with J&J! Thanks for stopping by

14. Kimberly Lewis
    August 30, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Loving this! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing this at our party. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, so we get to party with you again! Lou Lou Girls

August 30, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Thank you Kimberly! See you Monday – have a great rest of the weekend!

15. Sue Loncaric
    September 1, 2015 at 10:38 pm

They look so beautiful Laurie I'm inspired to make some and I'm not very good at craft. Thank you for sharing with us at #AnythingGoes linkup and see you next week.

September 1, 2015 at 11:31 pm

Thank you Sue – I have to say if you are not very crafty, this is a very easy craft to do. I enjoyed being a part of Anything Goes

16. Kati
    September 2, 2015 at 5:21 am

Love these Laurie! I've got to come up with a spot to put these so I can make me some.

September 2, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Kati! They are so quick and easy to make 🙂

17. Michelle James
    September 2, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I just love this! I just saw some bronze Christmas ornaments at The Dollar Tree & will be running there after work to grab some! Thank you so much for the inspiration. I'm thinking a garland of these hanging from the Mantle would be great. I will be featuring this project when Friday Favorites returns next week on 09/10/15. Have a great week!

September 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Michelle! I'm thrilled to be featured on Friday Favorites. I think these little ornaments would look spectacular hanging as garland! Would love to see how that turns out. Thank you for stopping by today and I hope you have a great holiday!

18. Sherry Nappa
    September 4, 2015 at 1:43 am

Beautiful decorations. Pinned and tweeted! Your fall acorns are being featured this week at Funtastic Friday. Hope you join us again.

September 4, 2015 at 3:49 am

Thank you Sherry! I'm delighted to be featured at your party this week and I appreciate the pin and tweet! Hope you have a great Holiday!

19. Navy Wifey Peters
    September 6, 2015 at 1:05 am

These are cute! I love the idea of fall ornaments. Thanks so much for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party! I hope you'll stop by again soon!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

September 6, 2015 at 2:50 am

Thanks T'onna! We love sharing at Submarine Sunday! Have a great weekend!

20. Colleen
    September 6, 2015 at 7:54 am

Beautiful and what a clever idea as well being such an easy project to make
    I could see these strung across the front of a fireplace mantel with the top of the mantel all decorated out for Fall

September 6, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Colleen! I think they would look beautiful strung across a mantel. Thank you for visiting!

21. srpprcrftr
    September 10, 2015 at 3:16 am

Have always loved acorns, next to love of pine cones. These are so pretty and quite versatile, inexpensive to make and would seem to be fairly quick project. All those reasons makes me give these a big star. I'll just go look for some bulbs on sale as our Christmas stuff is buried as always. Soon will be dragging out my Fall boxes. These would be so pretty hung as garland with fall leaves, pine cones, hung on garland. I love to make garlands with whatever can be found. We don't have mantel but do have shutter shelf hung over couch. It gets a lot of use thru the year and restyling according to holidays and seasons. I Love Fall as it's not so temporary, seems to last long enuf and leads into Thanksgiving,
    I particularly love Fall colors. Have my orders from hubs not to get too crazy too soon with Fall decorations. This is fantastic project, sure glad you shared it. Happy Fall Days even if weather does seem to think it's still summer.

September 10, 2015 at 4:09 am

I think these acorns would look wonderful added to a garland with pine cones! If you make one – I'd sure love to see it! The project is as quick and easy as it looks. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment on how you would display these acorns! I know fall weather is just around the corner! Hang in there!

22. Diena Cameron
    November 6, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Hi Laurie, these are so cute, i can't wait to go shopping at the dollar store for inexpensive ornaments and maybe they will even have twine and raffia or i will use ribbon. I think they would be adorable if you use a permanent marker, write the name of your dinner guest on each and use one at every place settings. So cute, thank you for posting and sharing. Happy Fall !!

November 6, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Thank you Diena! I just love your idea! I believe these would be a beautiful addition to your Holiday table 🙂 Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment.

23. thel day
    August 13, 2016 at 12:17 am

They are gorgeous acorns. Thanks for sharing.

August 13, 2016 at 2:33 am