Fall Crafts, Thanksgiving Crafts

Fall Feather Tree

Unique fall decor is easy to DIY with this Fall Feather Tree. The base is a piece of standard poster board. Inexpensive addition to fall tablescape.

Feather Trees, especially feather Christmas Trees, are everywhere.  Have you seen them?  Although I can not claim to have come up with the idea, I do like the look and wanted to try it out to see if I could duplicate it for fall decor.  This fall feather tree came together very easily.  The base is made from a piece of poster board, making this an inexpensive project to try.

First let me tell you, this is one of the easiest projects I have done all year.  This feather tree was made from start to finish in 20 minutes.  And the cost?   This tree cost less than $1.00 to make because the supplies I bought, (a bag a feathers for $1.99), will make 3 to 4 trees depending on how large a cone base you use.

To keep the cost low, I pulled out a sheet of poster board from my stash and made my own cone base.

Here is how you can duplicate the look for yourself.

Supplies Used:

Bag of Earth Tone Feathers ($1.99 from Hobby Lobby)
1 sheet of poster board
Hot Glue gun
Scissors

Cut a corner off of a piece of poster board on a curve.  You can tell that I wasn’t too careful about it. I free-handed it.  I suppose if you want to take the time to measure it out you could. I decided to just go for it.

Next, roll the cone.  Roll as tight as you want to get the shape cone you are looking for. Tighter will give you a more slender cone and more loose will give you a wider cone.  I used my hot glue gun to glue down the edge.

I did need to trim the base of the tree too, but again, you can tell I wasn’t too concerned if it was even, I just wanted the cone to be free-standing.

Next,  I dumped out the feathers in a pile so I could pull various colors out at random.

The above picture shows that many of the feathers have a curve.  I wanted my feathers to stand out a little from the base, so I applied a small amount of hot glue on the top of the curve and stuck it to the cone working my way from bottom to top.

Keep gluing feathers on until you have completed a circle around the cone.  Then move up and add another row of feathers.  If I had an area that didn’t cover well, I glued a smaller feather to cover the exposed area.

This whole process went really fast, and the end result . . . pretty cool?

I love the concept of the feather tree idea, however, I’m on the fence with the fall-like colors. We had a laugh and call it our feather duster tree.  I have seen so many beautiful feather trees in the stores mostly for Christmas, but none in fall colors.
Happy Fall!

1. Colleen
    September 11, 2015 at 8:31 am

Oh, I love them colors and your tree looks Great.
    I plan on making some white ones to set on my Christmas table this year for our family get together

September 11, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Thank you Colleen! I also plan on making some for Christmas this year. These are just too easy and the result is pretty fabulous. Thanks for stopping in and letting me know you thoughts. I'm sure your white trees will be simply gorgeous!

2. The Cookie Puzzle
    September 11, 2015 at 11:32 am

Dang girl…that is gorgeous! If I had not read your directions, I would have thought you spent hours making this masterpiece! What a great idea! This would look great on a mantel or as a centerpiece for sure! Have a great weekend!

September 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

lol, I know, I wasn't sure going in what to expect, but man, what an easy project with big impact this is. Thanks for popping over – you have a great weekend too!

September 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

This is so pretty, Laurie. I love how easy you make it seem! It's so creative. I bet a matching mini wreath would look great with it, too.
    "Feathers and Fall" ~ The 2015 Decor Trend brought to us by My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies! That should really be a thing! 🙂

September 11, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was finished. I have so many feathers left and thought that a wreath would be a beautiful addition. Great minds think alike 🙂
      Hope you have a wonderful weekend Beverly!

September 15, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Thanks for sharing your feather tree on Snickerdoodle Sunday, Laurie. Pinned and Tweeted. I'm so glad that you party with us each week!

September 16, 2015 at 1:20 am

I'm always delighted to share on Snickerdoodle Sunday!

4. Shirley Wood
    September 14, 2015 at 1:41 am

It's beautiful and so easy too! One on each end of the mantle for Fall would be nice! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday. I shared on my G+.

September 14, 2015 at 1:45 am

Thanks Shirley! I'm always delighted to share at Merry Monday! Thank you for the G+ share too! Have a great week!

5. Sue Loncaric
    September 14, 2015 at 7:28 am

How lovely! The feathers look so soft. I'm sure I would get them stuck to my fingers however you make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing this idea with us at #AnythingGoes

September 14, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Sue! I enjoyed sharing with Anything Goes! Have a great week!

6. Adorable!! And I even have the cones. Bought them on clearance at Michaels last year after Halloween. They are paper mache and I guess they were supposed to be used for Witches Hats so keep on the look out for them this year after Halloween….Soon I will be posting the Fall and Halloween Tussie Mussies that I made with mine…

September 14, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Debbie! Can't wait to see what you did with your cones! Hope you have a great week!

7. Sarah Frazer
    September 14, 2015 at 12:30 pm

This is SOOOO cute! I love it! I'm going to be doing it this Fall with my boys!
    (Coming from Meetup Monday Link-up)
    Sarah (www.sarahefrazer.com)

September 14, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thank you Sarah! Appreciate the visit and the comment! Sounds like it would be a fun project to do with your boys! Just remember the hot glue will come thru the feathers, so be careful when pushing them to the cone – a stick would work great to protect little fingers 🙂

8. Laurie - Country Link
    September 16, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Very fun and so easy! Thanks for sharing over at the Country Fair Blog Party!
    Laurie – Co-Host

September 17, 2015 at 1:15 am

Thanks Laurie! I enjoy sharing at the Country Fair Blog Party! Thank you for hosting!

9. Tiffany
    September 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm

This is such a super cute idea it gives me some thoughts for Christmas. I have done a feather boa project for Valentines Days and I had feathers everywhere.

Happy Fall!

September 17, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Tiffany! I hear ya with feather everywhere! I bet your Valentines Day project was awesome! Appreciate you stopping by today! Happy Fall to you too!

10. Ashley
    September 18, 2015 at 8:59 pm

That is so cute! I've never seen a feather tree before. Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Monday link party. I hope you'll join us again next week. Sharing your post on Twitter!

September 20, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Ashley! I enjoy sharing on Merry Monday!