Christmas Crafts, Metal Embossing, Winter Crafts

Woodland Fairy Christmas Art

Deck the walls with this homemade woodland Fairy Christmas Art even if you are not an artistic person. Tutorial for simple watercolor and basic embossing techniques included.

Today we are sharing how to make this beautiful Woodland Fairy Christmas Art to deck your halls for the holidays.  I have joined with several awesome and talented bloggers for a ‘Fairy Merry Christmas’ Blog Hop.  This is so much fun!  A new project or post is being shared just about every week day from November 16th thru December 11th on the theme Fairy Merry Christmas.  A complete list of participants and links can be found at the end of my post.

I hope you will follow along with us as we hop from blog to blog to see what everyone is sharing!

Woodland Fairy Christmas Blog Hop Banner

Last Friday, Alayna @ Alayna’s Creations  shared her gorgeous decorated magical Christmas Tree!   Her use of non-traditional colors and stunning ornaments are so beautiful and  I loved everything about it!  Hope you’ll hop over to take a look and say hello!

I have to admit that after I agreed to participate, I realized that I had no idea what to share on this theme.  But, like most projects on this blog, I sat down without a plan and then, something magical happened . .

I started by embossing two silhouettes on aluminium embossing foil and cut them out using small jewelry scissors.

The silhouettes needed fairy dresses, so I rummaged through my craft supplies and found ribbon and glitter glue.  Perfect!  I thought I might use the wire for the wings, but I ended up not using it.

Petals for a fairy skirt cut from ribbon.

Once the fairies were completed, I wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to use them. Ornament? Fairy Garden?  Maybe attach them to a homemade Christmas card?  All of these ideas would have been awesome and pretty easy to do, but I decided my fairies needed to be part of a Woodland Fairy Christmas scene.

I decided the little woodland fairies needed a tree.  I could imagine fairies using their magic to create a beautiful enchanted Christmas tree from plant vines.  So, I embossed one.

The tree was cut out and dressed it up a bit with the glitter glue.   Who doesn’t like lots of glitter at Christmas time?

I laid the pieces on a white canvas but it seemed too plain.   I tried several different solid and printed backgrounds, but nothing was quite right.   These fairies are woodland fairies and that meant they needed to be in the woods . . right??  With me?

I took out an old box of watercolors that I had bought for the kids years ago thinking I could possibly paint my own background.   I thought the watercolors might be soft enough as to not distract from the embossed pieces.

Oh sure,  I used watercolors before . . . uh,  when I was in grade school.

I am not much of a painter, but I figured, what did I have to lose?  If I didn’t like it, I would just have to come up with something else.

So I began by painting a yellow glow where the tree would be.  Next, I added the ground and the night sky.  It was pretty basic . . . and I guess to an artist’s eye, it would look pretty amateurish.  But I was liking it, and most of all, I was having a whole lot of fun doing it!

I added in some trees.   And then more background.   And a little snow on the trees and ground, which unfortunately is kind of hard to see, but it looks pretty cool.

Using watercolor on canvas is so much different from what I remembered in school.  Do you remember painting with watercolors on paper?  It quickly became waterlogged and then wrinkled once it dried?   Not so with the canvas.  It’s a much better surface for this paint. Does makes me wonder though, just how awesome my grade school art may have been if I had painted on canvas instead of paper . . .guess we’ll never know.

Here is Fairy #1 sporting a spotted blue petal skirt and lovely pink-tinted wings.

And . . Fairy #2 with green wings and a silver/gold stripped glitter skirt.

Did I mention I love this tree?

I glued the embossed pieces on the canvas once the watercolors dried.  Next, I glued on a little gem for each fairy wand.

With that done, I wanted to frame the picture keeping with my woodland theme.  However, none of my existing frames, that were large enough for this canvas, was right.

An idea came to me while my husband was making the cedar arbor for our daughters wedding.   He took cedar logs and sawed off the bark in long strips.  He planned to burn the sawed off pieces, but I saved a few and asked him to build me a frame for this canvas with them.

Last but not least, I added some silver stars for the night sky and glued on this lovely quote that I printed on decorative paper and framed with a gold ribbon border.

So there you have it . . . Woodland Fairy Christmas Art in all it’s homemade goodness!

I enjoyed sharing this project with you almost as much as I enjoyed making it!

If you are interested in learning more about the basics of metal embossing, I have an awesome 4 part series on the how-to, tools used and supply resources which is perfect for beginners like me!  You can find a link on my sidebar or on the main menu bar of my blog.   It really is much easier than it looks and I hope you’ll give it a try sometime.

Wow, isn’t this fun?!  I’m already looking forward to tomorrow, and can’t wait to see what Sarah @ Sarah Celebrates has created to share with us!   Hope you’ll hop over to check it out tomorrow!

If you missed a post in this series, no worries!  We have a link up below showing all of the posts that have gone live so far.  Just click on an image to go right to that post.  I’ve also included a list of all participants and date they are posting!

Happy Holidays and wishing you a magical and Very Merry Fairy Christmas!

Please plan to visit all our Fairy Merry Christmas Participants!

Nov 16: Millie @ 2 Crochet Hooks
Nov 17: Maria @ Sew Travel Inspired
Nov 18: Joy @ xoxoGrandma
Nov 19: Joanita @ Creative Crochet Workshop
Nov 20: Alayna @ Alayna’s Creations
Nov 23: Laurie @ My Husband Has Too Many Hobbies
Nov 24: Sarah @ Sarah Celebrates
Nov 25: Stella @ Purfylle
Nov 26: (Thanksgiving Break)
Nov 27: Beverly @ Across the Blvd
Nov 30: T’onna @ USS Crafty
Dec 1: Joanita @ Creative Crochet Workshop
Dec 2: Keri @ One Mama’s Daily Drama
Dec 3: Darlene @ Let it Shine
Dec 4: Donna @ Two Chicks and a Mom
Dec 8: Sarah @ Sarah Celebrates
Dec 9: Stella @ Purfylle
Dec 10: Pili @ Sweet Things
Dec 11: Millie @ 2 Crochet Hooks

1. Crochet Hooks
    November 23, 2015 at 1:33 pm

wow. I just saw what you did and am totally amazed! So beautiful Laurie! Thanks for joining in the hop and thank you for sharing such beautiful fairy art!

November 23, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Thank you! I had so much fun making this project and joining in on this fantastic hop!

2. Sarah Jaskowski
    November 23, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Stunning! I love the fairy, I knew would have thought to cut up ribbon the way you did to make the skirt.

November 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Thanks so much Sarah. I was thinking petals which is where that skirt idea came from. It was really a fun project to put together! Thanks for hopping over today! Can't wait to see what you have for us tomorrow!!

3. Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog
    November 23, 2015 at 9:17 pm

This is so creative and beautiful. I wouldn't even know where to start. Bravo on your beautiful art. It is so unique.

November 24, 2015 at 4:32 am

Thank you Mary! Appreciate the visit today and your nice comments. Hope you are having a wonderful week.

4. Joanita Theron
    November 24, 2015 at 5:14 am

This is so beautiful 🙂 Awesome show and tell! I will definitely be looking into your how-to series! Thank you so much for sharing!

November 24, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Thank you Joanita! Thank you for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

5. Mogsy
    November 24, 2015 at 9:27 am

Your fairies are beautiful Laurie. You have a real talent there. I will be sure to look up your "how to" on metal embossing. Always fit in a new craft. lol. TFS. The whole picture is sure to be appreciated by whomever is the recipient! 🙂

November 24, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thank you so much! I love trying new crafts and agree, there is always time to fit in a new one 🙂 Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

6. Purfylle
    November 25, 2015 at 3:13 am

I'm in awe of your art. The embossing is intriguing, cutting it out must have been quite the task! I would be thrilled to put this fairy special piece of art up on my wall every Christmas.

November 25, 2015 at 4:49 am

Thank you Stella! Cutting does take a little time, but it is not nearly as hard as it looks, so long as you have a sharp dry point and a cutting board. Thank you so much for stopping by today and for your lovely comment.

7. Donna
    November 25, 2015 at 3:27 am

Wow, very impressive!

November 25, 2015 at 4:50 am

Thank you Donna! I appreciate you taking the time to visit and to leave me such a nice comment.

8. Pili Gomez
    November 25, 2015 at 7:39 am

This is absolutely lovely, Laurie!! I love the way it shines, and the yellow paint behind the tree is a great idea!!

November 25, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Thank you Pili! I love the glow of the yellow behind the tree too. Thanks so much for stopping by!

November 25, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Beautiful! Your talent amazes me, Laurie. What a beautiful display this makes. I love everything about this!

November 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Thank you so much Beverly! I had a lot of fun putting this project together! Thank you for inviting me to join in this Fairy Christmas Fun!

10. Navy Wifey Peters
    November 28, 2015 at 3:17 am

This is beautiful! I love your fairies and the tree! Wonderful!!

November 28, 2015 at 7:54 am

Thank you! This blog hop is a lot of fun!

11. Winnie
    December 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm

This is a work of art, and a very good art!
    So creative and so beautiful.
    You definitely have a unique talent 🙂

December 3, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Thanks so much Winnie. It was a fun project to do. Thank you for the visit and I hope you are having a great week!

12. Heaven Smiling
    December 8, 2015 at 1:32 am

I am wowed by your cutting skills, Laurie! I'm sure my fairy would have been missing an arm and my tree would be completely hollowed out. Your work is just beautiful! Pinning. I think my uber-crafty daughter would enjoy doing something like this. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting on the chicken and broth. I hope you enjoy them as much as my family. 🙂

December 8, 2015 at 3:54 am

lol, It is a lot easier than it looks 🙂 I enjoyed my visit and appreciate the return visit! Hope you have a wonderful week!

December 10, 2015 at 12:37 am

Wow what a beautiful piece of art work you made Laurie! I hope you are enjoying the holidays. Julie

December 10, 2015 at 6:12 am

Thanks Julie. It was really a fun project to do. Thank you so much for stopping by!

14. Laurie!! How did I miss this delightful post!! I LOVE this!! So Sweet!!

Thanks so much for all your visits!! They mean a lot to me!!

December 11, 2015 at 12:02 am

Thank you so much Debbie! You know I enjoy every visit 🙂

15. Katherines Corner
    December 11, 2015 at 1:10 am

it'a so beautiful! xo

December 11, 2015 at 6:12 am

Thank you Katherine! It was a totally fun project to do. Happy Holidays!

16. mary klos
    December 19, 2015 at 6:57 am

What a beautiful work of art! I hope it is displayed in a prominent place of honor in your house! I love the tree! You are so talented!

December 19, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Aw, thanks Mary. Indeed it is 🙂

17. Sew Crafty Crochet
    July 6, 2016 at 9:42 pm

Beautiful! I love the foil. The tree is gorgeous!

July 7, 2016 at 12:28 am

Thanks so much!

18. Carol @Comfort Spring Station
    July 7, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Wow! That's all I can say. Waaaaay too hard for me. I bow to your creativity.

July 7, 2016 at 1:47 pm

You are sweet. This is one of those projects that looks way harder than it is. It was so fun to dream it up and put it together. Thanks so much for stopping by!

19. Grace
    November 17, 2016 at 6:54 am

WOW…so whimsical!!!!! Just wondering aside from your jewelry scissors did you use anything else to cut out the tree???
    I watched your embossing tutorial and loved it. You mentioned something about using a chemical to apply to the aluminum in order to give it an antique look. What did you use??? Love your work

November 17, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Thanks so much Grace.! I used the jewelry scissors to cut out as much of the tree as possible, mainly the outside edges that were easier to get to. For the inside smaller area’s, I used a dry point cutter. It is pictured above in the image with the scissors. I purchased the dry point at a local art supply shop. It is basically a sharp point that is used to “score” the area. Going over the line you want to cut a few times with the dry point will eventually cut the metal. It usually takes a few passes for each line.

As far as the chemical I’ve used to color aluminium – I purchased it on line from Birchwood Casey and it’s called Aluminium Black. The chemical works very fast. I wear rubber gloves, pour the chemical into a plastic tub in just enough to cover my project. I immerse my project for under a minute. You can see the chemical start to work quickly. You don’t want to blacken it too much if you want an antique look. Be sure to use a few test pieces first so that you can see how the chemical works before you use it on your actual project. As soon as you see the metal starting to turn black, remove the project and run it under cold water to stop the chemical reaction. I place my work on a paper towel to dry. If you rub the project with the paper towel to dry it , it will remove the blackened areas, so let it air dry. To seal the project and keep the “black” from rubbing off the metal, be sure to coat with a clear coat after it has dried. As a side note, I use a tub with a water tight lid. This way I can use same chemical several times for multiple projects.

If you have more questions, shoot me an e-mail comment from my contact page and I’ll be happy to answer them.