Mr. Hobby Projects

Building a Strip Canoe

Cedar Strip Canoe via Craft Collective

I love being a part of an outdoorsy family, even though I am not exactly an ‘outdoorsy’ kind of girl. If given the choice, I will almost always choose an indoor activity. However, being surrounded by a family that loves the outdoors, makes me get out there more than I would if left to my own devices. This is not a bad thing.

Strip Canoe via e-bay

One of my most favorite outdoor activities is floating down a beautiful scenic river and Missouri is full of them. When my kids were smaller, we floated in rented canoes at least a couple of times a year and it was great fun. In more recent years, we rented kayaks instead, and I found this to be even more fun.

January is not the time to plan any kind of family float trip in the Midwest, but, if you have plans to build your own canoe or kayak to use this year, it’s evidently a good time to get started.

Yeah, you probably guessed that I will not be building any kind of water craft to share with you because it would surely sink faster than a bag of rocks!

However, Mr. Hobby a.k.a. my husband, has decided to build himself a strip canoe. Mr. Hobby is a pretty talented guy with a vast skill set, woodworking being one of them. He has been thinking about building himself a canoe or boat for quite a while and has finally decided to get working on it.

Heirloom Kayak Wood Strip via Heirloom Paddle Sports

Although this is not a project that many of you would remotely consider making for yourself, I can’t help but share the journey with you. I will post updates of the canoe building progress if you are interested in following along.

I’m hoping that after Mr. Hobby makes his canoe, he will next be crafting a kayak for me!? Fingers crossed!

You can see all posts on this project [ here ].

January 14, 2016 at 12:25 am

Wow that is exciting and I can't wait to see the progress on the boat. Thanks for your visit and have a wonderful week.
    Julie

January 14, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for stopping by Julie! I am excited to see it come together.

2. Winnie
    January 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

I'm glad you do share the project! True this is not for me, but because of it, I'd like to hear and see

January 14, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Thanks Winnie for stopping by! I think it will be interesting seeing it come together and I'm glad you think so too 🙂 Have a great week.

3. Maarit A
    January 14, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Very good work and looks wonderful!

January 14, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Maarit! The boats pictured here are just ones I found on line. My husband is just getting started with his. I'll be sharing the progress over the next several weeks. Hope you are having a great week!

January 14, 2016 at 5:57 pm

What fun! I'm not much of an outdoor adventure person either, but what a great project to tackle for someone who loves it. Good luck to Mr Hobby and I'll look forward to watching the progression.

January 14, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Beverly! I'm very interested to see the process and of course the dream of building his own all come together. Hope you are having a great week!

5. Rita C.
    January 14, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Well, I think it's a fascinating topic to share! My husband & enjoy WV waters too, mostly in a 2person kayak we own. Both my girls are married to guys who like to get outdoors, too, even though I was raised (and raised them pretty much) as city girls. 🙂

January 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Rita! Appreciate that. My initial canoe experience was to sit in a lawn chair in the front while my husband did all the work. As time went by, I decided it was way more fun being "involved"! Thanks for your visit and comment!

6. Jenny Kavangh
    January 15, 2016 at 4:20 am

Holy Cow Laurie!! That's my kind of crazy. 🙂 While I will never build a canoe, (I am kind of indoorsy) I am really inspired by following others as they tackle big projects. I really do hope you keep us posted. and btw thank you for the lovely comment and pin. Taking the time to do that meant a lot. thank you

January 17, 2016 at 4:14 am

I'm glad to hear that you would be interested in the project! Thanks for dropping by and you're very welcome, I'm delighted to get acquainted and happy that you linked up with us 🙂

7. Anonymous
    January 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Wow Laurie, I'm a big fan of vintage wooden boats and canoes. Thank you for sharing and hopefully this will be a wonderful adventure of building the canoes and kayaks.

January 17, 2016 at 4:16 am

Thank you! I can't wait to share the progress. I've been so interested in the process, so I'm glad that so many are interested too! Appreciate you stopping by and commenting 🙂

8. Heart
    January 16, 2016 at 6:43 am

What an exciting project! I'm so thrilled to see your boat's progress.

January 17, 2016 at 4:17 am

Thanks so much Heart! I'll be sharing more on the canoe very soon! Thanks for stopping by today and expressing your interest in the project. I appreciate it and hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

9. Katherines Corner
    January 18, 2016 at 12:16 am

it's beautiful! xo

January 18, 2016 at 3:41 am

Thanks so much Katherine!

10. Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog
    January 19, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Laurie, you have to be incredibly talented in order to build a canoe. As your husband must be because I'm sure he doesn't want it to sink in the middle of the lake or river. Wow what an amazing job this is going to be, looking forward to following you on this..

January 20, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Thanks so much Mary! I'm excited to watch the progress and so happy that others are interested too. Appreciate the visit and the comment 🙂

11. Jess
    January 22, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Wow! This is SO amazing!!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

January 22, 2016 at 10:10 pm