Mr. Hobby Projects

Building a Strip Canoe (Update #1)

Building A Strip Canoe book by Gil Gilpatrick

Building a strip canoe is nothing new.  Plenty of information is available just a search away on the web, and in several books.

When my husband, a.k.a. Mr. Hobby came home with this book a few days after Christmas, I knew that the project was no longer in the ‘just thinking about it‘ stage, he was seriously going to do this . . . now.

Building a Strip Canoe Book by Gil Gilpatrick.

You may wonder why he would want to build a canoe when he could easily just buy one. Mr. Hobby has looked at several canoes and boats, but he hasn’t found one that totally meets his needs.   By building his own, he can modify the plans to his own specifications.

When I say, my husband has too many hobbies, I am not joking.  Being city raised as I was, he was already an avid hunter when we met in high school.  I found it all to be pretty interesting.   Ha, little did I know at the time where this would all lead!

As time went by, his hobbies branched out to include flint napping, arrow making, trapping, tanning hides and foraging the woods for edibles, just to name a few.  Today, I am still fascinated at the things he does and I love seeing him pursue his passions.

I could fill a blog with the things Mr. Hobby does, and I seriously thought about doing just that when I began blogging (hence the name of this blog).   But I digress, there’s plenty of time to fill you in on the horrors interesting life we lead.  Back to the canoe . . .

A few days after the book showed up, Mr. Hobby came home with several sheets of plywood.  The building was about to begin!

This first update of the building of a Strip Canoe is about constructing the strongback. This is the form that the strip canoe will be built around.

He cut sheets of plywood into strips and nailed the pieces together to build the base that will hold form pieces.  Mr. Hobby tells me this is called the strongback.  Right now the strongback resembles a ladder.

He also cut several form pieces from the plywood using templates that he drew from patterns in the book.  These will be attached to the strongback and the canoe will be built around these form pieces.

The canoe will be made from western red cedar strips.  This wood is not available at the local hardware store because it must be knot free.  Luckily Mr. Hobby was able to find what he needed at a very reasonable price from a local lumber yard that sells speciality wood.

Then it turned bitterly cold with temperatures well below freezing.  Evidently, this is not good weather for canoe building because the glue will not set properly at these temperatures.  Mr. Hobby’s workshop is in the garage and it is not heated.

Being the ever resourceful guy that he his, he moved all the pieces into our basement.  He will cut the strips in the workshop and bring them into the house for the actual building and gluing.

Here is the completed strongback with the form pieces attached.

Yup, there will be canoe building/assembly going on inside my house.   Makes me smile, for I am a tolerant woman.  Is it wrong to tout my own virtues?

Hope you will join us for the next update.

You can see all posts on this project [ here ].

1. Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog
    January 27, 2016 at 5:17 pm

This is going to be fun following you on your adventures. I'm going to show this to my husband and have him get ideas in his head too. Although he is more of a fisherman.

January 27, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Mary. My husband loves to fish too, but his heart truly lies in the mountain wilderness. Hope your husband enjoys the post. Thank you for stopping by today!

2. Winnie
    January 30, 2016 at 6:33 pm

This is really a huge project! I think he WANTS to be build his own canoe (and that is why he couldn't find what he wanted), and I admire it!
    I can buy a cake, but I prefer to bake it myself… and your husband is the same, just his "cake" is a huge one LOL

January 30, 2016 at 6:41 pm

LOL, you are probably right Winnie. There is such satisfaction in making your own. Thanks for following along.

3. Nikki Frank-Hamilton
    January 31, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Laurie, I love how you both are so creative. I am really enjoying watching your husbands progress with the canoe and I can't wait to see the next installment. Do you watch NCIS, Gibbs always goes down to his basement to work on the boat he's building too quiet his mind and give him some peace. This reminds me of that. Thumbs up to your husband can't wait to see the finished product!

February 1, 2016 at 6:38 am

Thanks Nikki! I haven't watched NCIS, but how funny that he is building a boat in his basement! I'm always amazed at the things my husband does and happy to finally share one of them with everyone. Thank you for the visits!

4. Crochet Hooks
    February 15, 2016 at 6:52 pm

wow now this is a diy project! wowzers!! Kuddos to him for taking this on. Looks like it will turn out beautifully! Then eventually you get to use it for a romantic trip across the lake (catching fish…) hopefully you can hold on to that tolerance 🙂

February 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Mr. Hobby is having a great time with this project. I was on vacation for a week with a friend and wow, the progress he made 🙂 I am looking forward to the first water voyage 🙂

5. Wendy S
    February 15, 2016 at 10:42 pm

This is amazing! I cannot wait to see the finished project, and what a cool project it is! I was going to say the same thing that Nikki said about NCIS — but hopefully your husband will have an easier time getting his canoe out of your basement. 🙂

February 16, 2016 at 2:27 pm

One of the first things I asked when he moved to the basement was "Will you be able to get it out?" He assures me this will be no problem. Thank you for stopping by Wendy!

6. Kathleen Aherne
    February 16, 2016 at 9:23 am

I do admire people who can build things. What a talented husband, I bet that you love it too. There is something wonderful about creative practical people. You and him in the canoe drifting in the sunset . . .

February 16, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Thanks Kathleen. Yes, I love that about him. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments. Have a great day!

February 16, 2016 at 1:40 pm

This is a big undertaking! I hope he has success in building it. It certainly sounds like he has it all well in hand. You are indeed tolerant to not mind him building it inside of your home!

February 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Beverly. I agree that it seems like a big undertaking, but Mr. Hobby is making it all look so simple. Thanks so much for stopping by today 🙂

8. Lisa @ A Bride On A Budget
    February 17, 2016 at 4:01 am

This is AMAZING! Your husband is so talented to even think about starting this. But to make it? Wow. I'm impressed! Can't wait to see the finished product!

February 17, 2016 at 7:17 am

Thanks Lisa, I can't wait to get home every day to see the progress 🙂

9. Jennifer Juro
    February 20, 2016 at 11:04 pm

What a project to take on and build. I can't wait to see the end result of his project.

February 21, 2016 at 5:46 am

Thanks Jennifer! I looking forward to seeing the finished project too!

10. Sherry Nappa
    February 22, 2016 at 12:48 am

Wow. Looks like a big project. I can't wait to read about the finished project. Seems like a lot of work, but it looks like it's worth it. Great project.

February 22, 2016 at 1:24 am

It is a worthwhile challenge. Thanks for stopping by today Sherry!