Mr. Hobby Projects

DIY Strip Canoe – Prepping The Interior For Fiberglass (Update #5)

Installment # 5 for building a strip canoe continues with the prepping interior for fiberglass. Excess glue needs to be scrapped prior to adding fiberglass.

It’s been too long since I have last updated everyone on the progress of the strip canoe.  If you recall in the last post, Mr. Hobby was working on adding fiberglass and epoxy to the outside of the canoe. Once completed and allowed to dry, the canoe was removed from the strongback.

The prepping of the inside of the canoe for the application of fiberglass and epoxy is the next step.

As you can see from these pictures, the glue that holds the strips together had run and dried on the inside of the canoe.   You can also see just how thin this canoe actually is.  Amazing. The fiberglass acts not only to strengthen the boat, but to waterproof it as well.

While working on the outside and gluing the strips together, Mr. Hobby scrapped off the dried glue as he added each new strip, however, it was impossible to get to the underside/inside while he was working on the outside.

So you can see there is a lot of scrapping that needs to happen before the fiberglass and epoxy coats can be added.

It will take a few hours of scrapping to remove all the dried glue.

It you are following along and enjoying these posts, we’d love if you pin it.  Thank you!

You can see all posts on this project [ here ].

1. Sherry Cole
    April 26, 2016 at 4:31 am

Laurie, this canoe is absolutely amazing. Your husband is so talented. This will be something to treasure. I'm looking forward to seeing the next update. I pinned it!

April 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Thank you Sherry! Appreciate the pin too!

2. The Seana Method
    April 26, 2016 at 7:09 am

Continue to be impressed by this amazing accomplishment. Have you decided when & where the maiden voyage will be?

April 26, 2016 at 6:31 pm

My husband hoped to have it finished by the end of April, but he didn't make it. It just depends on how much of his free time he can spend on it to get it finished. I know he is anxious to do just that. I'll have to keep you posted 🙂 Have a great week Seana!

3. Marilyn Lesniak
    April 28, 2016 at 2:02 am

Wow, this is amazing.doing something of this scale is so rewarding. My first (and last) big project ws stripping and refinishing a baby grand piano. The world still hasn't recovered! Thank you for sharing on #WonderfulWednesday.

April 28, 2016 at 5:57 am

You crack me up! Refinishing a baby grand sounds like a huge project, I hope it turned out how you wanted after all that work! Thank you for stopping by today 🙂

April 28, 2016 at 2:31 pm

It's looking great! I'm sure your husband must be pleased with how it's coming together.

April 28, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Being the perfectionist he is, he sees all the little mistakes that I would never notice, but this first canoe has been a learning experience for him that he is enjoying. Thanks for stopping by to see the progress.

5. Marilyn Lesniak
    April 30, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick from my Commenters at #WonderfulWednesday this week. Visit me on Tuesday evening and to see your feature! I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon.

May 1, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Awesome! This makes my weekend 🙂 Thanks so much Marilyn 🙂

6. Martie
    May 4, 2016 at 1:06 pm

What an amazing project! My Dad built a boat, and I loved keeping up with his progress. I'm pinning this, so I can share with him! Maybe he'll take on a canoe next! 🙂

May 4, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Thanks Martie. That is awesome that your Dad built a boat! I bet that was fascinating to watch too. Thanks so much for stopping by!

7. Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog
    May 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm

It looks like a master is a work here Laurie, your husband is not creating a canoe but a work of art!

May 6, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thank you Mary. I do think it is going to be beautiful. I mentioned to my husband your comment and he smiled. He sometimes thinks that he doesn't have a artists eye, but it is apparent in quite a bit of his work. Thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

8. Handan Navage
    May 25, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Laurie I love this series and I love how this canoe project started! But I can't ever show it to Greg, because I know he'll be wanting to make one. When I read about Mr Hobby I felt I was reading about Greg. When Greg sees something somewhere first thinks about it…you know kind of "hmmm…that would be cool". Then that "hmmm" grows to be a "want", and then next thing you know he went and got tools and materials that I don't even know the names of and already started his project (or picked up that new hobby). LOL.
    I am looking forward to read the next update!! Have a wonderful week!

May 25, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Thanks for following along! Your Greg does sound a lot like my Mr. Hobby 🙂 I'm getting excited to see the finished canoe and can't wait for the maiden voyage too and looking forward to sharing that with everyone! Appreciate you taking the time to say hello!