DIY For The Home

Dollar Store Faux Succulent Planters

Succulents are easy to care for, but these faux succulent planters are made with succulents from the Dollar Store and 'planted' in glass candle holders. They have the appearance of a live plant.

Last weekend I stopped at our local plant nursery to pick up a few succulents for this project.  I couldn’t believe that they didn’t have any.   None.   No worries, I’m the queen of improvise.  Today we bring you Dollar Store Faux Succulent Planters!

Luckily for me, the dollar store had a small selection of faux succulents and several glass candle holders.

glass candle holders for planting faux succulents

To make the planters, I started by putting a few scoops of potting soil in the bottom of the candle holders.    (If I were planting real succulents, I would have also picked up small gravel and a cactus mix soil).

Because these succulent plants are plastic, I figured they would do just fine in the potting soil I already had at home.

glass candle holder for planting faux succulents

To add some interest, I pulled out some river rocks and added a layer on top of the soil.

I also added a layer of dried Spanish moss and then pushed the succulent into place.  The layers I had created served to keep the succulent in an upright position.  These cute little succulent planters came together in just a few minutes.

They add some nice color sitting on my kitchen window sill.  For me, the best news is I don’t have to worry about watering and keeping them alive.   Yes, I am a burner of dinner and a serial plant killer.   They say succulents are easy to care for . . .I’m hoping that someday, I’ll be able to test that theory.
If you enjoyed this project, we’d love if you pin it to share.   Thanks, I appreciate it!
Eventually, when I replace these cute faux planters with some real succulents, I’ll move these to my office.  I think they’ll look great on my bookshelf.
Thanks for the visit!

1. The Seana Method
    April 28, 2016 at 7:25 am

They look completely real, and you could easily pull them out and rinse them off to keep them looking fresh. I love little succulents. I once saw Martha Stewart planting them in a stone wall and I've always wanted to do that, but never actually done it!

April 28, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Thanks Seana. I agree, that pulling them out to rinse them off is a nice benefit for these little planters. I bet that stone wall was really awesome! Hope you are having a super week!

April 28, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Great way to improvise when you couldn't find real plants, Laurie! They look great on your window sill. The soil and rocks make them look real. I've always heard that succulents are easy to maintain. I haven't tested that yet, either because I am a plant killer. It's sad!

April 28, 2016 at 4:05 pm

lol, it is sad, I have unintentionally executed so many plants too. Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you are having a wonderful week!

3. Marilyn Lesniak
    April 28, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I love this as my green thumb is brown. Funny story. My sister entrusted me to water her plants while on vacation. One she had for over 10 yeats. By the time she came home they were all dead from overwatering. The only plants that weren't affected were on top her bookcases. She later told me they were plastic. This is the perfect project for me! Thanks for haring at #ThursdayFavoriteThings!

April 29, 2016 at 1:21 am

lol, has our sister ever entrusted you with her plants after that? I usually forget to water and eventually my plants wither and die. I enjoyed sharing with you for #ThursdayFavoriteThings!

4. handmade by amalia
    April 30, 2016 at 4:19 am

These are cute. I couldn't even tell they weren't real.
    Amalia
    xo

April 30, 2016 at 5:33 am

Thank you Amalia! I think the potting soil helps to make them look real.

5. Katrin@kreativk.net
    April 30, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Laurie, they look real and absolutely lovely! I love improvising, so this is perfect! You won't have to worry about them and they'll always look this pretty! I love that they're in the glasses so you can see the stones and soil and greenery you added! Thanks so much for sharing at Sweet Inspiration #4! Have a lovely weekend!

May 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Thank you Katrin, I enjoyed being a part of your party this week!

6. Marilyn Lesniak
    April 30, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick from my Commenters at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me on Wednesday evening and to see your feature! I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon.

May 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks so much Marilyn! I appreciate the feature 🙂

7. Marilyn Lesniak
    April 30, 2016 at 4:09 pm

No Laurie she hasm't! The first tme I visited after that she left a note on her rubber tree plant.
    DO NOT WATER ME AS I DONT WANT TO DIE LIKE MY BROTHER!

May 1, 2016 at 4:53 pm

hahaha, I guess that pretty much sums that up doesn't it?

8. Jelica @ A Pretty Fix
    May 1, 2016 at 11:57 am

This is about the cleverest thing I have seen! Love this. I also happen to have a cat at home who loves to crunch on houseplants so this is the perfect remedy 🙂

May 1, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Your cats do that too? Maybe I need to re-think as to why all my house plants meet the same tragic end . . . Thanks for stopping by today!

9. A Crafty Mix
    May 1, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Oh my these are SUPER cute!!

May 1, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Thanks so much! They are so easy to make 🙂

10. Ann Ehnert
    May 2, 2016 at 2:52 am

Really clever and they look great. Dollar store to the rescue again! Love that place.

May 2, 2016 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Ann! Gotta love the dollar store 🙂 But do you ever think about what happened to the 5 and dime? Perhaps we are all over paying! lol

11. Crochet Hooks
    May 2, 2016 at 2:03 pm

wow perfect for us people with the black thumb or live in dark cubbies (or both like me lol). I love the way your dollar store faux succulent planters look and best of all, with the dirt in there no would know they are fake! I mean faux! awesome 🙂

May 2, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Thank you! lol, yes at a glance they look very real. Seems I am not the only one with the black thumb around here 🙂 Now I don't feel quite as bad 🙂

12. Darlene Nemeth
    May 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Succulents are easy to take care of. I had a few in my gardens and they sure do thrive. All I had to do was thin them out once in a while or they would have taken over.

Faux succulent planters are an awesome idea especially when there are cats, dogs or little kids in the house. I love that you included real potting soil that creates the illusion they are real plants. The stones are moss are a beautiful touch.

May 2, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Thanks Darlene. And thanks for the info on the succulents. Not sure they would do well in my garden, but I will eventually try to keep one or two alive. Thanks for stopping by!

13. Bambi Wortham
    May 2, 2016 at 9:42 pm

These are adorable. Great for those that travel away from home a lot and have trouble keeping real plants alive.

May 3, 2016 at 5:25 am

Thank you! Totally agree!

14. Kathleen Aherne
    May 3, 2016 at 2:59 am

Thanks Laurie, this is what I need to do. I have some beautiful glass candle holders, I put pebbles in the bottom and then potting soil and real succulents. It looked lovely and then they all died. I mean who kills a succulent? I think I drowned them. Your artificial ones look so healthy, I think that is they way I should go.

May 3, 2016 at 5:26 am

If you use real succulents, there is a special cactus soil that is needed, but with these lovely plastic ones – it just doesn't matter 🙂 They look good all the time! I'm loving them. Thanks for stopping by!

15. Gail @Purple Hues and Me
    May 3, 2016 at 1:51 pm

This is a beautiful creation, Laurie! It's amazing what you can find at the dollar store! Because they're "succulents" I doubt if anyone can tell the fake from real just by looking. And succulents are so very trendy right now – in any form! Nice job!

May 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Thanks so much Gail! I hear you about the trendy, couldn't believe I couldn't find any at the local nursery!

16. Laurie,
    These are so sweet!! I have seen other projects done with these succulents from Dollar Tree including a wreath. I think I have to get to one of the Dollar Tree's… Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by!

May 3, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Thanks Debbie! I'm loving all the succulent project I've been seeing too! Thanks so much for visiting 🙂

17. Candace
    May 4, 2016 at 12:32 am

Isn't the Dollar Store wonderful? I love these plants. Best of all, I can't kill them. Thanks for sharing.

May 4, 2016 at 2:01 am

lol, seems the plant killer club is growing hehe. I kill all my plants pretty quickly, so I'm loving these. Thanks so much for stopping by!

18. Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods
    May 4, 2016 at 9:59 am

Oh my goodness! These little succulents look so real. I love how they add pops of color to your kitchen but don't need watering (I'm famous for killing even the hardiest plants).

Thanks so much for sharing your creativity at the The DIY Collective! Please join us this week to show off your latest project!

Have an awesome day!
    ~ Ashley

May 4, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Thank you Ashley! I enjoyed linking up with the DIY collective this week.

19. ilkasblog
    May 4, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Laurie – love these planters! Such an awesome DIY idea! Pinned and stumbled!

May 4, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Thanks you Ilka! Appreciate the shares too 🙂

May 4, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I love these Laurie! They came out so cute. I will have to try and make some too. Enjoy the week.
    Julie xo

May 4, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Julie! They are very easy to do and look so cute too. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment 🙂

21. Karren Haller
    May 5, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I love the idea of succulents, I hope I can find some at the dollar store. They're pricey at the craft stores. Yours are perfect for groupings.
    Thank you for sharing on the OMHGFF last week, sorry so late for comment.
    Have a great weekend!
    Karren

May 5, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Thanks so much Karren. I agree they can be pricey. And thank you so much for stopping by. I do enjoy being a part of OMHGFF!

22. Paula@SweetPea
    May 5, 2016 at 11:13 pm

These look so real! I never would have known that the succulents were from the Dollar Store. I'm featuring your project tomorrow night for "Best of the Weekend."

May 6, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Wow! How exciting! Thank you so much for the feature!

23. Homespun Engineer
    May 6, 2016 at 4:02 am

I'm with most everyone else, I would never have guessed they weren't real. I really like the different layers and textures you added in with the soil, moss and rocks. Great simple and easy DIY. Awesome innovation when your plan took a side road too. 🙂 I love my garden and plants, but I'm a bit weird about inside plants. I need to give this a try for my sun room though.

May 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Thank you! I do think that the soil makes all the difference in fooling the eye to think they are real. Thanks so much for stopping over today!

24. Sherry Nappa
    May 7, 2016 at 11:41 am

This is a perfect idea for Mother's Day gifts!

May 7, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Sherry! I think it would make a perfect gift 🙂

25. Raising Samuels
    May 8, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I can't believe these are from the Dollar Store! This is very impressive and it looks gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week 🙂

May 9, 2016 at 4:09 am

Thanks so much! Enjoyed linking up with Social Butterfly Sunday 🙂

26. Pins in a Nutshell
    May 9, 2016 at 6:18 pm

What a great decoration. I love it! Adding the right tough for decor is hard for me. Thanks for the idea.

May 9, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Thank you! Hope you have a chance to make some. Have a great week!

27. Anna