Patriotic Crafts, Summer Crafts

Painted Flag Golf Balls for Patriotic Holiday Decorating

We used old golf balls and up-cycled them into cool patriotic holiday decor. These Patriotic Flag Painted Golf Balls are a perfect centerpiece for the summer holidays!

With the summer holidays just around the corner, we are sharing a fun and easy craft that is perfect for a patriotic holiday table centerpiece or holiday decorating.  Read on to find out more to make your own  Patriotic Flag Painted Golf Balls.

My husband loves to play golf.  Not nearly as much as he would like to given the amount of hobbies he enjoys, but enough that he brings home a lot of used golf balls.   He uses them for practice from time to time, but the used golf balls do start piling up fast once the weather turns warmer.  I decided to use a few for this quick & easy, and oh so cute project.

Supplies used:
Used Golf Balls
Dark Blue Spray Paint
White Spray Paint
Star Stickers
Red Craft Paint
Paint Brush

Mr. Hobby recently brought home yet another box of used golf balls to add to the ever-growing collection.  You can see in the picture, they get dirty and scuffed up after use.   So the first thing I did was quickly wash them to get as much of the dirt and mud off of them as I could.

Using a sheet of star stickers, I randomly stuck stars on several of the golf balls being careful not to stick a star over any existing wording printed on the balls.

I grabbed an old egg carton to set the golf balls on while spray painting them with a dark blue.

After they dried, I turned them and spray painted the other end.

I spray painted the remaining golf balls with white to cover any printed wording on the balls. I didn’t have another egg carton available, so I used what I could find.

After the paint dried for a few hours, I pulled the star stickers off the blue balls, and I painted red stripes on the white balls using red craft paint.

I layered the balls in a basket for display.  Done.   So easy and so cute!

If you enjoyed this project, we’d love if you pin it to share!  Thank you!

Thank you for your visit today!

1. Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled
    May 6, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Love this idea! We have so many golf balls. Never would've thought to use them as decor. Visiting from Sweet Inspiration party.

May 7, 2016 at 12:29 am

Thank you so much! Appreciate the visit!

2. Katrin@kreativk.net
    May 6, 2016 at 7:12 pm

How unique Laurie, I love the idea and you got to use all those golf balls for something so pretty! Also, how clever to spray paint them in an egg carton! Thank you so much for sharing at Sweet Inspiration #5! Have a lovely weekend!

May 7, 2016 at 12:29 am

Thank you Katrin! I enjoy linking up to your lovely party!

May 6, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Laurie, I love this! It's not only a great use of those extra golf balls, it's for terrific patriotic decor. So creative!

May 7, 2016 at 12:30 am

Thank you Beverly! I'm glad I finally found a use for some of those old golf balls!

4. Laurie!!! Love this idea!! So simple but so spectacular!! Thanks so much for sharing!! I will be starting my Patriotic decorating next week!!

May 7, 2016 at 12:31 am

Thank you Debbie! You are so sweet. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful Patriotic decor soon!

5. Paula@SweetPea
    May 8, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Oh my goodness! These are adorable and I can think of so many places that I could use them for patriotic decor. I need to ask some golfing friends for balls to make some for my home.

May 8, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Thank you Paula! If you know a golfer, it should be very easy to round up some golf balls 🙂 Enjoy your Mother's Day!

6. The Seana Method
    May 9, 2016 at 11:02 am

I have lots of old golf balls since I spend a fair amount of time fishing balls out of water (I'm a lousy golfer.) I LOVE this idea… just regular spray paint? Definitely going to try it! I'm a 4th of July birthday, so wouldn't it be fun to pull these out of my bag:)

May 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm

lol, It's all about the enjoyment of the game, right? I love to watch golf on TV, but have never played anything other than miniature golf. It would be fun to pull them out of your bag 🙂

7. The Lazy Gastronome
    May 9, 2016 at 1:46 pm

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing on the DIY party at Pleasures of the NW

May 9, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Thank you! I enjoyed sharing at Pleasures of the NW!

8. Jess
    May 9, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I SO love this idea! It's just too cute!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

May 9, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Thank you Jess! Thank you for hosting a wonderful party!

9. Art From My Table
    May 9, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Spectacular! Thanks for sharing these at FTAF! Pinned. 🙂 Really enjoying your blog. 🙂

May 10, 2016 at 2:18 am

Thank you so much and I appreciate the pin too! Have a great evening!

10. Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G
    May 10, 2016 at 12:03 am

Love this fabulous idea! And the balls look great assembled in the pretty basket! Will be making some of these for 4th of July to impress my guests! 🙂 Sharing on my blog FB page! ~Rhonda

May 10, 2016 at 2:18 am

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the share 🙂

11. Anonymous
    May 10, 2016 at 4:06 am

Hi Laurie, the basket of golf balls was great ! But why wait for a holiday, I will leave mine out all the time. Question , in the supplies used, what is the red craft glue used for? Did you freehand the stripes and why not cover the writing on the ball? Thanks so much.

May 10, 2016 at 4:22 am

Thanks! True, they could be left out all the time. Thanks for finding a mistake – that was supposed to be red craft paint – not glue. I fixed. I did free hand the stripes. I thought about using tape to block off the stripe area and help make them even, but that seemed like too much work. My stripes are not exactly even and I think it works.

As far as the writing on the balls: For the blue balls, I did not put the star stickers over any writing on the ball because I wanted to make sure when I pulled the stickers off, I would only see white for the star area. Also, I did not spray paint the blue balls with white first to cover the writing. The blue spray paint took care of that.

On the striped balls, I spray painted the entire ball with white first to make sure I covered all the writing. I just didn't want the writing to show at all and the spray paint covered it well. If you try to cover it with the red craft paint, it might be hard unless you put on several coats. Because I spray painted the balls white first, I only needed one coat of craft paint for the red stripes. Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you need any more info!

13. ilkasblog
    May 10, 2016 at 6:59 pm

I just love this Patriotic Craft idea! So unique and creative! Pinning for all the crafty golfers!

May 10, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Thank you Ilka! I appreciate the pin too 🙂

14. Winnie
    May 10, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Very unique and CREATIVE !!
    I'm not an American but I'm very patriotic so I looooooooooove the idea!

May 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Aw, Thanks Winnie! You are sweet to comment. I appreciate it 🙂 By the way, your Flag is a beautiful one 🙂

15. Marilyn Lesniak
    May 10, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Thank you so much for linking at #overthemoon! I look forward to seeing what you share every week. Please come back for #WonderfulWednesday or #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit and you get a chance to be featured! Pinned and shared.

May 10, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I'm really enjoying your link parties and the best part is meeting and supporting new friends! Happy to get to know you better Marilyn!

16. LZ Cathcart
    May 11, 2016 at 1:27 am

Awesome idea!! Plus, you did those stripes free hand?! Go you!! You have more patience than I would 🙂

May 11, 2016 at 3:32 am

Thanks! Yes, the stripes were free hand and way faster than taking the time to tape them all to get the stripes perfect. Thanks so much for stopping by!

17. Marilyn Lesniak
    May 11, 2016 at 4:14 pm

I still love those. I liive on a golf course and that would be a great centerpiece for my patio table. Pinned and shared.

May 11, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Thank you Marilyn! I appreciate the pin and shares!

May 12, 2016 at 2:42 pm

This such a cute craft and thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

May 12, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Thank you Julie!

19. Teresa B
    May 12, 2016 at 6:02 pm

What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week1 Pinned!

May 12, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Thank you Teresa! I appreciate the pin too 🙂

20. TheKimSix Fix
    May 13, 2016 at 6:32 am

I LOVE these so much. Like love love love. I can't wait to share them on my facebook page! Thanks for sharing at You're gonna Love it!

May 13, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Thanks Kim! I enjoyed sharing at your party and I do appreciate the share 🙂

21. Danita Carr
    May 14, 2016 at 2:23 am

What a great idea! So creative! I love it! Thanks for sharing! #SmallVictories

May 14, 2016 at 4:34 am

Thanks Danita! I enjoyed sharing with you at #SmallVictories! Have a great weekend!

22. Jenny
    May 14, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I love these Laurie!!

May 14, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Thank you Jenny! Hope you have a great weekend!

23. Raising Samuels
    May 14, 2016 at 2:42 pm

This is so cool! It literally is perfect for all holidays in the summer! Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week 🙂

May 17, 2016 at 12:07 am

Thank you! I enjoyed linking up at your fabulous party 🙂

24. Navy Wifey Peters
    May 16, 2016 at 2:43 am

What a wonderfuly patriotic makeover! They look great! Thanks so much for sharing at Submarine Sunday!!!

Navy Wifey Peters @ The Submarine Sunday Link Party

May 16, 2016 at 4:52 am

Thanks so much! I enjoyed being a part of your wonderful party!!

25. thepaintedapron.com
    May 16, 2016 at 12:28 pm

This is really super cute and clever! I was wondering how you did the stars, very brilliant!
    Jenna

May 17, 2016 at 12:06 am

Hi Jenna, I put star stickers on the golf balls before spray painting them blue. When the paint dried, I just peeled them off. Easy 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

May 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Hi Laurie, we are happy to inform you that we featured this at our Monday Cooking and Crafting with J & J. Thanks and hope you will join us again this week.
    Julie xo

May 17, 2016 at 12:07 am

How exciting! Thanks so much Julie!

27. Lisa Kerhin
    May 16, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Hi Laurie! Love that you are featured at our Happiness is Homemade Link Party this week! This is brilliant – my husband lost interest in golf a few year ago but still has all of his golf balls and clubs. Looks like I am stealing those golf balls to create this lovely idea for decorating.

May 17, 2016 at 12:09 am

Thanks so much Lisa! Delighted to be featured at your lovely party! The best compliment is always when someone wants to make one of my projects 🙂

28. Jan
    May 26, 2016 at 5:22 pm

LOVE these!!!! Thanks for sharing at country fair blog party! Did I mention I love these????

May 26, 2016 at 5:50 pm

lol, thanks Jan! And yes, I believe you did 🙂 Hope you have a fantastic Holiday weekend and thanks for hosting such a fun party every month!

29. My Bashful Life
    May 31, 2016 at 12:45 am

I really loved this idea. You could adapt it to so many holidays. Pinned!
    xoxo Mickey

June 6, 2016 at 4:33 am

Thanks so much Mickey!

30. Sherry Nappa
    June 10, 2016 at 12:43 am

You have the coolest ideas! These golf balls are fantastic!

June 10, 2016 at 4:38 am

Thanks Sherry! They do make a cute display!

31. Stacey
    June 13, 2016 at 2:26 am

What a cute idea!! Pinned. 🙂

June 13, 2016 at 2:48 am

Thanks so much Stacey! I appreciate the pin!

32. Rodney Sanchez
    June 25, 2016 at 4:58 am

Have you ever tried this sport? Night golf is popular all over the world. You know the kind where you use the glowing night golf balls, luminous sticks and flashlights. It is neat to watch your ball sail into the dark. A totally different game compared to playing in the day.

33. Laura W. Shelton
    June 25, 2016 at 5:15 am

Golf as a pastime has intrigued, challenged and confounded men and women alike since it first appeared in Scotland. Sometime during the Middle Ages it became an aristocratic pursuit.

34. gary
    June 26, 2016 at 1:51 am

What a cute fun project! My husband doesn't like golf though. But he does have golf clubs he got at a yard sale. He never uses them. I keep telling them he needs to sell them or donate them again, but he won't hear of it. Ha! All that to say, I'll probably never come across any golf balls…LOL.

June 26, 2016 at 2:12 am

lol, I totally enjoyed your comment and I appreciate you stopping by to leave it. Thank you for that!

35. Sam - Raggedy Bits
    June 30, 2016 at 1:53 am

What a neat repurpose of golf balls! I love it! Sharing all over the world! 🙂

June 30, 2016 at 2:31 am

lol, Thanks so much Sam. I appreciate the world shares! You're awesome.

36. Susanne
    July 1, 2016 at 11:28 pm

What a cute idea!! I love it!! Thanks for sharing with us for TaDa Thursday Link Party!!

July 2, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Susanne! Enjoyed the party, thanks so much for hosting.

37. debbie
    July 6, 2016 at 9:13 am

Wish I had seen this before the holiday but hey I can come up with something for the next holiday. Love this. I am inspired to personalize gifts for my son-in-law! thank you for joining our TaDa! Link Party, so happy to have you.

July 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Thank you Debbie! I enjoyed being a part of TaDa!

38. Crochet Hooks
    July 7, 2016 at 8:44 pm

super cute! now that hubby has stopped golfing maybe I can borrow and paint some of his old golf balls! maybe eyes for Halloween!

July 8, 2016 at 1:51 am

Thanks Millie! Love the idea of painting some eyes for Halloween with golf balls!

39. Golf Reviewer
    November 12, 2016 at 9:55 pm

wow this is so creative, i would have never thought about this. This brings me so many ideas! Thanks so much! will educate my readers!