Summer Crafts

Beach Vacation Sand Dollar Keepsake

Beach Vacation Sand Dollar Keepsake. A cute way to display sand dollars with a nautical feel.

What kind of treasures did your family find at the beach this summer?  While on vacation in Washington State, we spent a day at First Beach and found this awesome sand dollar.   It’s not white like the sand dollars I’ve found in Florida, it is more of a grey color and it was in perfect shape.

Sand Dollars are fragile and easily broken, so I wanted to come up with a simple way to display this keepsake for years to come.

I picked up a blue and white stripped fat quarter and a small embroidery hoop from Walmart for a few dollars.

I cut a piece of the material to fit into the embroidery frame.

Be sure to trim the edges.  Sharp scissors would have been handy, but I couldn’t find mine and had to use my kitchen scissors.

Using a black sharpie, I wrote the place and the year this sand dollar was found.

I attached the sand dollar directly onto the material using hot melt glue.

The blue and white material give it a little bit of a nautical flair and will look cute hanging as a memento of a fabulous trip!

If you liked this project, we’d appreciate if you’d pin it to share!  Thank you!

1. Reply
    Beverly Roderick
    August 1, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Laurie, this is such a great way to display the sand dollar! What a wonderful keepsake with the place and year on the hoop. Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

1. Reply
      Laurie
      August 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Thank you Beverly. My son wanted to hang this special find in his room, so I needed to come up with something.

2. Laurie, this is so cute!! I am thinking of changing y Patriotic tree into a beach tree and making ornaments for it from tubs of shells that I got from my neighbor but I do not know if I will have the time to do so..

Thanks for stopping by!

1. Reply
      Laurie
      August 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Thank you Debbie. I think a beach tree would be a fun tree to decorate! Putting it together I'm sure would take some time. Thanks so much for stopping by!

3. Reply
    Rita C.
    August 6, 2016 at 11:26 am

I really like the way you saved this memento, Laurie, keeping the natural, found color of grey. (are the rocks souvenirs, too? :)).
    The Hilton Head sand dollars are also grey, but I bleach them to speed up what the FL sun does for them naturally. 😉

1. Reply
      Laurie
      August 6, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Thank you Rita. Yes, we brought home quite a few rocks too 🙂 I did consider bleaching the sand dollar, but decided it was better just as it was found. Thanks so much for stopping by!

4. Reply
    Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled
    August 6, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Great way to keepsake a sand dollar. Love the mini hoop. Visiting from Snickerdoodle Sunday.

1. Reply