DIY For The Home

How to DIY Glass Jar Terrariums

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

Succulents are everywhere these days and I love the look of them.  I’ve made a few succulent planters using plastic succulents from the dollar store because they not only look nice, you can set them out and pretty much forget about them.

I was in a thrift store the other day and came across a wide mouth glass jar that was part of a canister set.  It had a wooden lid with a rubber seal that was dried out and would no longer seal.  Didn’t matter to me, it was the perfect size for a small succulent terrarium.

People tell me that succulents are easy to take care of, so I decided to take the plunge and adopt a few succulents and make my own DIY glass jar terrarium.

I stopped in a local nursery to find some baby succulents.  I did find a few and they were a little pricey.  Not surprising since they are so popular right now.  I picked out three little succulent plants that were $5 each.  As I was walking away, I spied this little succulent garden, that had three different types of succulents in it already for only $6.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

These little plants looked like they needed a home, so I bought this one instead.  It already had the soil, rocks and plants!   Happy that I had found a bargain, I took my new baby succulents home.

DIY Glass Jar Terrariums Tutorial

Supplies I Used:

• Glass Jar (s)
  • Succulent Plants
  • Succulent Plant soil
  • dowel rod
  • hand saw
  • sand paper
  • E6000 glue
  • Painters Tape
  • small rocks or pebbles
  • coffee filter
  • scissors
  • decorative rocks
  • moss
  • spray bottle with water

My glass jar measured 7 inches in height.  I wanted to lay the jar on its side.  To keep it from rolling off a shelf, I cut two 4-1/2 inch long dowel rods using a small hand saw.   To clean up the cut edges, I rubbed the cut ends on a piece of sand paper for a minute.  The dowel rods were then glued to the jar about 2 inches apart .  I used a piece of painters tape to hold them in place while they dried.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

After 24 hours, I felt the E6000 glue was strong enough for me to start working on the terrarium.  I left the painters tape in place just to be safe.  It’ll be removed after the recommended 72 hours of drying time is up.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

I used some left over white pebble rock from my tin can planters that I got at the dollar store for a rock layer on the bottom of the jar.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

The coffee filter was cut to size to fit over the rock.  I misted it with the spray bottle of water and laid it over the white rock layer.  I used this to keep the soil from sinking into the rock layer.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

Note:  After the soil is in place you won’t see the coffee filter.  Next, add soil, plants, decorative rocks and moss.  I used a few of the rocks we gathered on vacation last year.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

A few pieces from a sheet of dried moss added a little more green.  Once I had everything in place, I used the spray bottle of water to mist over everything.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

I was pleased with how it turned out, however, I had a problem . . .

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

I had only had room for one type of plant in the glass jar.  Guess my jar wasn’t big enough.  So I found another jar that I picked up at the dollar store a few months ago and repeated the process.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

I still had succulents left . . so I emptied one of my ‘faux’ succulent planters that I made by using glass candle holders from the dollar store and filled it with the remaining succulents.  Now all my baby succulents had a new home.

We keep some of our vacation rocks in mason jars, so I had an open mason jar on the table.  After I filled the glass candle holder with the succulents, I got an idea and wanted to see if the mason jar ring would fit on the glass candle holder – and it did!

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

The mason jar ring obviously can’t screw on the candle holder, but it sits nicely on top to give it a different look.

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

I was so pleased with how these turned out!  Now . . .I just have to keep my new babies alive!  Can you believe all these came from the same little planter I brought home?

DIY Glass Jar Terrarium

If you enjoyed this project, please Pin the image below to share!  Thank you!!

DIY Glass Jar Terrariums

Thank you for the visit!

I will be sharing this post at these wonderful link parties!

Broken Bit Mosaics
    April 20, 2017 at 9:11 am

CUTE! I am loving my succulents.

These will look great in your house.

April 20, 2017 at 9:40 am

Thanks so much. They look great everywhere I put them, so I’m still trying to decide the best place for them.

2. Reply
    Beverly
    April 20, 2017 at 9:22 pm

These look great, Laurie! I’m terrible with plants, but I certainly admire them! I love how you made three cute terrariums from that one purchase! Sharing!

April 20, 2017 at 11:23 pm

I’m not so good with plants myself, but they say these are easy to care for . . . we’ll see 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

3. Reply
    Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled
    April 23, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Very pretty! Great way to have a mini indoor garden without worrying too much about keeping things alive. Visiting from DIY Link Up party.

April 23, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Thanks so much Victoria

4. Reply
    Nadia
    April 23, 2017 at 8:39 pm

They look so beautiful!! unfortunately succulents don’t survive in my house 🙁 I tried several times. Maybe not enough of sunlight

April 23, 2017 at 8:44 pm

This is my first time trying them, I’ll have to see how it goes. I’m told there is a special soil to use and don’t water too much and they are supposed to be easy. Sorry they haven’t worked out for you. You can always get the look with plastic succulents 🙂

5. Reply
    Nikki Gwin
    April 24, 2017 at 11:08 am

Very nice! One of my favorite memories of spending the night with my Grandmama is when we made a glass jar terrarium. She even gave me a miniature mushroom and a bee to put inside.
    🙂 gwingal

April 24, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Thanks Nikki! Love the special memories with your Grandmama 🙂

6. Reply
    Carol ("Mimi")
    April 24, 2017 at 2:31 pm

These turned out really cute! I like how you incorporated some rocks into the little scenes along with the plants. The plantings have interesting shapes, textures, and colors.

April 24, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Thanks so much Carol. I love an easy project and these really look great sitting around the house.

7. Reply
    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    April 27, 2017 at 12:43 am

I’ve never had a great deal of success with terreriums – they always seem to steam up and and get soggy. I think using succulents would help keep that from happening – and all three of yours look gorgeous.
    Leanne | cresting the hill

April 27, 2017 at 9:00 am

Thanks Leanne. These are my first terrariums, so I’ll see how it goes. Thanks for stopping by!

8. Reply
    Marilyn Lesniak
    April 27, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for sharing at #OverTheMoon and have a lovely week!

April 27, 2017 at 9:25 pm

You do the same Marilyn! I always enjoy your party!

9. Reply
    Julie Christiansen
    April 27, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Simply beautiful! And bravo for using a lot of things you already have on hand, it’s always a great day when that happens!

April 27, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Agreed! Thanks Julie!

10. Reply
    Grammy Dee
    April 27, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for attending the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. I shared your post on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.

April 29, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Thanks so much! Appreciate the shares!

11. Reply
    Teresa
    April 28, 2017 at 7:18 am

They are so pretty, all of them. Thank you for sharing the tutorial, these would make wonderful gifts too. Added to The Really Crafty Link Party Pinterest board!

April 28, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Thank you Teresa! Appreciate the pin too 🙂 Have a great weekend!

12. Reply
    Stephanie Abbott
    April 28, 2017 at 8:12 pm

Love this glass terrarium. Pinning. Thanks for sharing at To Grandmas House We Go!

April 28, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Stephanie and I appreciate the share too!

13. Reply
    Helen at Pleasures of the NW
    April 29, 2017 at 2:33 pm

I love these little terrariums!! Sorry I’m so late to stop by – been on vacation all week! Thanks for sharing on the Pleasures of the NW’s DIY link up!

April 29, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Thanks Helen! Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

14. Reply
    Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    April 30, 2017 at 8:43 am

Laurie, how wonderfully clever! I’m not sure I have the manual dexterity to deal with all that tininess inside a jar, but these are too cute not to try!

April 30, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Thanks so much. They were way easier to do than I thought they would be and they turned out so cute! We love them.

15. Reply
    Cristina at Ava's Alphabet
    April 30, 2017 at 9:50 am

These are so clever, Laurie! I just adore them! Pinned and sharing. Thank you for joining us at Family Joy Blog Link-Up Party. I hope you will join our next party starting Sunday at noon EST.

April 30, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Thanks Cristina! I always enjoy the Family Joy Blog Link Up! Have a great week!

16. Reply
    Heidi
    April 30, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Never thought of using a mason jar for a terrarium–love that idea! Thanks for the 411 on how to do it!

April 30, 2017 at 11:02 pm

Thanks so much Heidi!

17. Reply
    Michelle Leslie
    May 2, 2017 at 4:58 am

I love terrariums Laurie and yours look stunning. It’s a super idea to use succulents, they’re going to look great all year and won’t need so much attention. Thanks so much

1. Thanks Michelle. We are loving them so far!

18. Reply
    Grandmas House DIY
    May 2, 2017 at 12:00 pm

These turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing with us at the To Grandma’s house we go link party – I’ll be featuring you tomorrow morning when the next party goes live!

May 2, 2017 at 12:29 pm

How delightful! Thanks so much!

19. Reply
    Daphne
    May 3, 2017 at 3:42 am

Good Morning Laurie, I love these little terrariums and although succulents may be expensive, you will find, as they grow, they will be so easy to divide and replant to make even more terrariums.
    It is so nice to see that terrariums have come back into fashion, because when I was a young wife in the early 1970s they were very popular. It was a time when people were really loving Victoriana. I grew succulents in large glass jars and proudly displayed them on my mantlepiece. They were so popular as they were so easy to grow and as you have shown they also look lovely.
    I feel sure you will have encouraged many new terrarium lovers.
    Have a lovely day.
    Best Wishes.
    Daphne

1. Daphne, Thanks so much for stopping by and and for your lovely comments. So far the baby succulents are doing well and I love the simple look of the glass jar terrariums. I did not realize they were so popular and in fashion in the 70’s! Wishing you a wonderful week and trust that all is well with you and George!

20. Reply
    Karren Haller
    May 5, 2017 at 7:57 am

This project turned out so cute, I am loving succulents and even trying to grow starts.
    Now I am sharing in a Feature on #OMHGFF this week, come and share again!! Have a great weekend!
    Hugs
    Karren

1. Thanks so much for the feature Karren!

21. Reply
    Trudy
    May 5, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Pinned and shared! I love plants, too much. I nurture them to death, lol. Maybe if I used a terrarium, I could save them from me!

1. Thanks so much for the share! I’m usually a death warrant to plants, but the succulents seem to be doing great. Loving them.

22. Reply
    Leanna
    May 5, 2017 at 11:46 pm

I think its fantastic how you built these within a little jar. This is a novel idea very well down. Aren’t succulents the best, five years ago I never considered them and now I think they are adorable.

1. Thanks Leanna. I’m with you,, I also think they are adorable! Thanks for stopping by!

23. Reply
    Linda @ Home Cooking
    May 9, 2017 at 5:51 am

Love your blog, love your post. You are inspiring me. I have featured you on my social media this week. When you get a chance stop by some time.

1. Linda, Thanks so much. I’ll be delighted to stop by and say hello. Appreciate the feature too!

24. Reply
    Mary
    May 13, 2017 at 10:00 am

Laurie this is such a fun idea! And it will look great anywhere in the house inside or out!

May 13, 2017 at 10:36 am

Thanks Mary! We are really enjoying them and they are doing surprisingly well for someone like me who is a killer of house plants!