DIY For The Home, Spring Crafts

DIY Spring Antler Decor

DIY Spring Antler Decor

With two hunters in the house, there’s more than one antler trophy gracing the walls of our home.  However, the hunters get a little wild-eyed, if I mention dressing them up just a bit.  My daughter hung a few Christmas ornaments from my husband’s elk antler mount one year.  It bothered him, a lot.  But he reluctantly let us have our fun.   This year I’m dressing up my own antler for Spring.

No, I’m not a hunter.  I acquired this antler from a friend of mine.  She gave me an elk antler shed she found on her ranch in Colorado.  It’s wonderfully bleached from being outdoors for a long time and it’s the perfect size for the mantel.

Apple blossoms

The weather was so beautiful here this past weekend.  Our apple tree has bloomed with pretty white blossoms.   The apple tree was the inspiration for this project.

I headed to the dollar store and picked up a package of moss and a few flower stems.  When I got home I plugged in my glue gun and got to work while the vision was still fresh in my mind.  Do you ever do that?  Have an idea, get the supplies, then totally forget what your inspiration was because you let the project sit for too long?  Happens to me frequently.

Antler Decor Spring

I put a drop of hot glue here and there and attached some moss.  Then a few flowers.   A little messy, but easy.

I couldn’t believe I was finished in just a few minutes.

Spring Antler Decor

I was liking it, really, I was.  Then I sat down and stared at it for a while.  Then I started thinking that maybe it was too simple.   Maybe it needed more. . . moss.   So I added more. . . a lot more.

Spring Antler Decor

Spring Antler Decor

It was definitely more green.   I may have gone overboard with the moss.   What do you think?  More or less on the moss?

Spring

It was too beautiful outside to stay indoors, so I stepped outside to think about it.   I soon got distracted by more signs of spring.  This flowering bush made me wonder if pink flowers might look better on that antler . . .

hostas

The Hostas has started to pop up.  I also noticed the flower beds are in need of some clean up.   I turned to grab my son, who was playing catch in the yard, for a little help.   ‘Was’ being the operative word.  It was already too late. He was in the wind.  Probably saw me eyeing that garden, then rolling up my sleeves.  Teenagers have a keen sense of  yard work projects about to commence.

I’ll wait a few more days to decide if the antler needs weeding.  I’d love your opinion.

If you enjoyed this project, please Pin It!  Thank you!

DIY Spring Antler Decor

1. Reply
    Beverly
    April 4, 2017 at 8:48 am

What a creative way to decorate antlers! I think it looks better with the extra moss. I often get ideas like you mentioned and don’t get to the project right away. Later, when I spot the supplies, either I’ve forgotten my idea or decided that it wasn’t really a great idea! The apple blossoms look gorgeous.

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 4, 2017 at 8:53 am

lol, my family is having a nice laugh with the abundance of moss I used. Not exactly what I was thinking, but fun and easy just the same. I’ve started sending myself e-mails for future ideas when inspiration strikes, but I have a lot of supplies for projects that I have no idea what I was thinking! The apple trees are so pretty this year!

2. Reply
    Mrs Shoes
    April 6, 2017 at 11:39 am

I like this idea, & not too late to add a pink flower or two. Living out in the middle of nowhere, we have antlers around here for sure, but usually it’s the dog who finds them, and good luck getting them away from her! Also, I’m envious of your garden; there are still some piles of snow here, but I’m looking forward to seeing little bits of greenery poking from the soil…. any day now.
    I came to visit from the AIM link party; I hope you’ll make time one day to stop by the 4Shoes & let me know you’ve been.

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 6, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by! I’ll be delighted to stop by and pay you a visit 🙂 You’re so right, it’s never too late to add a pick flower or two. We are loving the signs of spring, hope it finds you soon!

3. Reply
    Broken Bit Mosaics
    April 6, 2017 at 1:19 pm

I like it. Cute idea.

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Thanks so much!

4. Reply
    Grammy Dee
    April 6, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thanks from Grammy Dee, #WednesdayAIMLinkParty, social media shared.

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 6, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Much appreciated! Thanks again for hosting!

5. Reply
    Broken Bit Mosaics
    April 7, 2017 at 7:37 am

Hey Laurie,
    After my comment yesterday, I forgot to put on there my husband would freak if I did that to one of his set of antlers!

We are going to look for sheds at the farm this year. Maybe I’ll find one I can decorate 🙂

thanks for coming by the mosaic blog. If you get a chance today check out my fairy girl. I finally got her grouted.

Have a wonderful weekend.

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 7, 2017 at 6:58 pm

lol, my husband is the same. Looking forward to seeing your fairy girl!

6. Reply
    angie
    April 7, 2017 at 11:51 am

never thought of decorating in this way which is why I love to read what bloggers share. This is a very natural way to decorate that is very pretty as well
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 7, 2017 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Angie! I’m looking forward to stopping by to see your blog.

7. Reply
    Debbie-Dabble
    April 10, 2017 at 7:41 am

Laurie,
    OMG!! What an interesting craft!! Love it!! So unique!! I hope you and your family had a great weekend!! We finally had some nice weather here!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 10, 2017 at 8:58 am

Thanks Debbie! We had a great weekend too. Looking forward to Easter break and some time off work.

8. Reply
    Pili
    April 14, 2017 at 7:01 am

I have never found antlers around here, but I would love to find some. I find your idea so pretty!

1. Reply
      Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      April 14, 2017 at 8:41 am

Thank you Pili! Happy Easter Weekend to you and your family.