Other Crafts, Summer Crafts

Air Dry Clay Stenciled Fish

Air Dry Clay Fish

School may be out for the summer, but today I’m sharing a cute little school of fish made using air dry clay.   These fish are fun and easy to make!   We decorated ours with stencils and colorful paint, but there are so many possibilities to decorate these!

These fish can be displayed in a variety of ways to fit your decor.   Use them in a wall hanging, attach to a piece of driftwood to display on a shelf, or place one under a glass bell jar with a little greenery.

Supplies Used for Air Dry Clay Fish:

• Air Dry Clay
  • rolling pin
  • wax paper
  • knife
  • fish template
  • fine grit sandpaper  220 grit
  • craft paint (project colors used:  Lemon Custard, Turquoise, Morning Blue, Gecko Salamandra, Mauve Raisin)
  • foam paint stamps or a stencil brush
  • stencils
  • cardboard / paper towels
  • wood beads
  • aqua spray paint
  • white cord
  • scissors
  • piece of driftwood
  • E6000 glue
  • 2 picture hanging hooks

Roll out the air dry clay to a size big enough for your fish template, unless you are good enough to free hand it, which I wasn’t.   The fish template I used was found on Google by searching   free printable fish template.   A butter knife was used to cut out the fish.  Place fish on a sheet of wax paper and leave to dry for several days.    Note:  The thickness of the clay will determine the dry time.

Air Dry Clay Fish

This is what they looked like after they were dried.  You can see in the below picture that the fish have some rough edges and some imperfections.  I don’t have a lot of experience with working with the clay, but I found that using 220 fine grit sand paper smoothed them out nicely.

Air Dry Clay Fish

Here is what they looked like after a few minutes of sanding.  I cleaned them off with a slightly damp paper towel to remove the sanding dust before stenciling.

Air Dry Clay Fish

I sanded them for a few more minutes, but I didn’t spend a lot of time on it.  I used craft paint, foam paint stamps and stencils to add color to the fish.

Air Dry Clay Fish

A piece of cardboard was great to use for painting.  Squeeze a small amount of each paint color, then using a paint stamp (not sure if this is what it is actually called, but they were great for stenciling and were purchased at Hobby Lobby).  I dabbed a small amount of paint on the foam tip and then stamped it several times on the cardboard to remove most of the paint.

Here are closeups of the stenciled fish.

Wall Hanging:

To make a wall hanging,  I used a piece of driftwood that we picked up on vacation last year.  I spray painted a few wooden beads an aqua blue color and strung them on white cord.  I tied knots above and below the beads to help keep them in place.   The cord was wrapped around the piece of driftwood several times then the end was glued.

Air Dry Clay Fish

I first attached the fish with hot melt glue, but realized that it wouldn’t be strong enough to hold the fish.  You can see a little of the glue residue on the back of these fish.  Instead, I used E6000 glue to attach the cord to the back of each fish.   I laid a piece of wax paper over the glued cord and set heavy books on top of them to hold the cord in place while the glue dried.  I left it sit overnight, but they still needed another day to fully dry.

Air Dry Clay Fish

I screwed two picture hanging screws into the top of the driftwood and used the white cord to make a hanger which you can see in the photo below.

Other Display Options:

If the wall hanging is not your style, attach these fish to a base to display.  I made a quick display base from a dowel rod I had left over from another project.   I recommend using a larger width dowel rod than I did for stability, but I used what I had on hand.  Cut 3 equal size pieces at least the length of the fish and glue together with E6000 glue.  Attach the fish with the same glue.  Allow to fully dry before displaying.

Air Dry Clay Fish

I used a smaller piece of driftwood for another base.  Attach with E6000 glue.

Air Dry Clay Fish

I really love how these fish turned out and it really was easy.   This project does take several days because of all the drying time of the clay and glue, but the actual “crafting time” was very quick and easy.

If you enjoyed this project, please help support our blog by pinning the image below!  Thank you!

Air Dry Clay Stenciled Fish

Broken Bit Mosaics
    June 7, 2017 at 7:58 am

They are cute! I like them as a wall hanger.

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 7, 2017 at 9:28 am

Thanks so much! We loved them as a wall hanger too. Thanks so much for stopping by today!

2. Reply
    Beverly
    June 7, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Your clay fish are adorable, Laurie! I especially like the wall hanging display. I love the bright colors you chose. I’ve been meaning to try a craft with air dry clay, now I’m inspired to do something and following your directions, I might get it right! Pinning and Sharing.

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 7, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Beverly! These were very easy to do and you should totally try something with it. I’ve been playing around with the clay and hope to have a few more projects to share. Thanks for the shares!

3. Reply
    Claudia Blanton
    June 9, 2017 at 10:50 pm

how adorable, and easy enough that I might even be able to manage. I am not the most talented DIY person (that is putting it mildly), but not because I don’t try. Thanks for the cool inspiration. Blessings!

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 10, 2017 at 8:35 am

Thank you Claudia. I hope you have the chance to give this a try!

4. Reply
    JaneEllen
    June 11, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Such a cute project to make with kids or for yourself. Like the Wall hanging, how you stenciled fish in pretty colors is very attractive. Like it’s quick and easy despite drying times. Have great week

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 11, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Thank you! I think the kids could have a lot of fun with the clay.

5. Reply
    Jess
    June 12, 2017 at 3:11 pm

SO pretty! 🙂

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 12, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Thanks so much Jess! I enjoy sharing at your lovely party!

6. Reply
    ARTantana
    June 13, 2017 at 5:49 am

That’s such a cool idea!! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Shantana

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 13, 2017 at 9:14 am

Thanks Shantana! We are having lots of fun with clay lately 🙂 Have a great week!

7. Reply
    Teresa
    June 14, 2017 at 9:52 am

They are so cute! Suddenly I’m thinking my kids would love to make something like this. Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned!

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 14, 2017 at 6:13 pm

I think they would have a lot of fun with it Teresa! Thank you for hosting each week!

8. Reply
    Michelle Leslie
    June 15, 2017 at 5:43 am

They’re just so cute Laurie. I love the wall hanging idea, it’s perfect for a holiday cottage down at the coast. So fun

9. Reply
    STEPHANIE ABBOTT
    June 19, 2017 at 4:49 pm

I bet my kids would love this. Added to my Pinterest queue. Thanks for sharing at the To Grandmas House We Go link party.

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 19, 2017 at 5:34 pm

Thanks so much for hosting!

10. Reply
    Daphne
    June 24, 2017 at 7:35 am

Good afternoon Laurie, In between decorating and getting our new house organised, I felt I needed to catch up with my friends, so I have popped by to say hello and to see what you have been up to.
    I love these stencilled clay fish. This is a project children will love doing and they will have so much fun painting. The colours you have chosen are so vibrant and perfect for our sunny summer weather.
    Enjoy your weekend, I hear you are having lovely weather in your part of the world.
    With warmest wishes.
    Daphne

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 24, 2017 at 10:18 am

Thank you Daphane! It is good to hear from you! It is a beautiful weekend here! Looking forward to hearing more about your new house!

11. Reply
    Maarit
    June 25, 2017 at 3:14 am

I love these cute fish!😊

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 25, 2017 at 8:51 am

Thank you Maarit!

12. Reply
    Emily
    June 25, 2017 at 2:20 pm

These are so cute & perfect for summer decorating! Thanks for linking up with Merry Monday last week. I’m featuring your tropical fish at our upcoming party – I hope you’ll stop by and link up again!

Laurie | MyHusbandHasTooManyHobbies
      June 25, 2017 at 9:20 pm

How fun! Thanks so much Emily and thank you for hosting!