Quilt Patterned Wall Art is pretty trendy right now. Using a set of old wood plaques, we jumped on this trend and made a few of our own. These are a great size to hang as a grouping on your wall or set on a book shelf. We even came up with a few other uses for theses as well.
My daughter gave me these plaques and asked me if I could do something with them. They are manufactured pressed wood with a flower print glued to the front. It wasn’t worth trying to remove the flower print, so I decided to paint right over it.
- Four plaques
- Waverly Chalk Paint (Plaster, Silver Lining, Mineral)
- Americana Decor Chalk Paint in Serein
- Craft paint in navy
- Waverly Matte Varnish
- Paint brushes
- Painters Tape
- carbon paper
- wood scraps cut to size
- wood stain
- Spray Top Coat
- E6000 glue
- Ring Clip
I used Waverly Chalk paint in Plaster to cover the plaques. It took two coats of paint to cover well. Chalk paint dries quickly, so this didn’t take long.
A search on-line for simple quilt block patterns netted me 4 great patterns which I printed in a size that worked for my plaques.
Tape the pattern to the plaque using painters tape. Place a sheet of carbon paper under the pattern. Use a pencil and a ruler to trace the patterns onto the plaque.
This worked great and the pattern was easy to see.
Chalk paint was used to paint the patterns, except for the navy blue color, which was regular craft paint. After two coats, there were some areas that required a third coat, so I ended up doing three coats in all. I did all the painting free-handed. If you are worried about going over the lines, you could tape off the area, but that seemed like too much work to me.
Next, each plaque got two coats of Waverly Matte Varnish. This is a non-yellowing varnish.
Making the Frames:
The frame pieces were cut from scrap wood and stained. I used the same stain for every frame, however, some of the frames I wiped the stain off right away, and others I put on two coats of stain to get a darker finish. I gave each wood strip two coats of a spray top coat to help protect the wood.
I wasn’t sure what the best method would be to attach the wood frame, so I consulted with Mr. Hobby. He suggested hot melt glue. I tried it and the glue dried faster than I was able to line up and attach the wood strip. I ended up using E6000 glue and it worked great, however it did take time as I was only able to attach one side at a time. It took four days to attach all the wood strips.
To glue the wood strips, I ran a bead of glue down the length of one side, fit the strip and then stood the plaque up so the plaque was sitting on top of the glued strip. The weight of the plaque was enough to get a good bond. I set one glued plaque against another glued plaque back to back so they each supported each other. They were left to dry overnight.
Here are the three that are completely framed with wood strips.
More uses for our Painted Quilt Patterns:
The fourth plaque was turned into a recipe holder. I just attached one strip of wood on the bottom. To get an angle on the plaque to make it easier to read a recipe from, I removed the arm off the back of a dollar store picture frame and glued it to the back of the plaque with E6000 glue.
To hold the recipe, I happened to have a clip that was attached to a ring which was perfect for this project. However, you could use clothes pin or a binder type clip. I hammered in a nail and just hung the ring from the nail.
The size of these plaques also work well for a small catch-all tray. Our little succulent is doing really well. To find out how we made it check our our post on How to DIY Glass Jar Terrariums.
These were so much fun to make. It did take me a couple of weeks to figure it all out and complete, but the end result was well worth it.
If you enjoyed this project, please Pin It! Thank you for supporting our blog.